No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard glug glug decanter with decorative prunts - when made?  (Read 529 times)

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
I presume this decanter is by Holmegaard. I found a similar example online, just one, with similar decorative embellishments, saying it was made c.1900. My decanter is c.23 cm high, 8 cm square. The stopper seems original, fitting tightly and securely. It's spherical, but with a slight waist at the base. The pontil mark has been ground out and is circular, concave.

Am I on the right lines with attribution and date? Searches on GMB turn up nothing quite the same. Thanks for feedback.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard glug glug decanter with decorative prunts - when made?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 01:29:53 AM »
If Holmegaard, it's not the original stopper. Holmegaard examples, which do date from 1900 or thereabouts, also have berry prunts on their stoppers.

However, kluk bottles with applied berries and vines were produced by a few different companies across Scandinavia around the same time, and later. Hadeland in Norway made one with an applied foot and a stopper that had the same dented shape as the bottle (still in production last time I looked, although that was about 10 years ago). Others might well have opted for plain stoppers.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Holmegaard glug glug decanter with decorative prunts - when made?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
Anton in my looking about them they have been produced in many places over a period of around 250 years.  Holmegaard sems to have started seriously seeling them from 1840 or so.  Jacob Bang in 1928 designed one in a crackled glass with a crown stopper.  Kastrup had a range very similar to the current one from 1960 on - in clear, blue, and dark green.  Some of the Kastrup ones were twisted as well.  Consult www dot hardernet dot dk inder Stemware - Kluk Kluk to see the ranges.  This is my "smoke" Jacob Bang decanter.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand