No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green and white cut decanter - style and date?  (Read 622 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Green and white cut decanter - style and date?
« on: October 01, 2022, 10:27:10 AM »
Really wondering when this decanter dates from, I can't place the decorative style. I did find two others with a similar shaped rim when I first looked some time ago but they were both clear glass and did not seem much help, can't find them now though.

Plenty of inclusions in the glass, 31 cm tall and missing the stopper, assuming a Bohemian origin given the colour combination. The cutting is interesting, is that done with a wheel and not acid?

Another possibly with similar cutting technique: https://www.lelandlittle.com/items/129339/bohemian-orientalist-decorated-decanter/

A blue and white decanter with a similar shape rim: https://www.alexiaamatoantiques.com/en-GB/sold---bohemian-glass/rare-and-beautiful-antique-bohemian-triple-overlay-glass-decanter/prod_11720#.YzgUlkzMKUk

Any ideas?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Green and white cut decanter - style and date?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 10:28:19 AM »
Hopefully these show the cutting.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:38:54 PM »
It might be related to this becher in pressglas-korrespondenz, which has a similar finish, I believe it is cut then acid polished. That one is milk glass with blue overlay, Bohemia, probably by Meyr's nephew c.1840. Page 17:

https://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2020w-sg-lithyalinvasen-form-geblasen-1815-1840.pdf

Same becher here: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-gb/item/90879692_seltener-milchglasbecher-mit-blauem-uberfang
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 09:59:48 PM »
  The excellent photos in your second series tells the story of wheel cut or other. I think definitely wheel cut by virtue of the profile as shown.
The chart provided shows four different cutting wheels and there profiles as they cut into the glass as well as lateral movement.

The style of turned down lip seems to date at least from 1850. A catalog of the Pairpoint Co. circa 1900-1920 shows a decanter almost exactly like the blue over white over clear in your link. The only difference being that it is one layer over clear and the stopper is not engraved.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 05:44:04 PM »
Thank you both for taking a look and pitching in. There is that similarity with the leaves and the round structures, interesting to see which plant it might be as well. Plants went in and out of fashion too I suppose.

The depiction of different wheels is very handy, I got the impression there was more than one wheel profile discernible on the bottle, so that could be possible, some of the wider cut sections looked like more than one pass at first but perhaps that is a result of lateral movement instead.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 03:25:03 PM »
I think the leaves are meant to represent stylised acanthus leaves.
There are some similarities between yours and this one on ebay in terms of the gilded decoration style, the white over green and the 24 point white overlay cut star on the base.
Doesn't help with id of course.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203117656496

There were many many pieces of overlay cut to colour pieces made in the Biedermeier period and later. 
I could be totally wrong but I think yours belongs around 1870 ish.

I could also be wrong on this but I don't think it has anything at all to do with the blue over white becher from Meyr's Neffe.  That has a totally different look and feel and period feel to me.  That becher is special because of the blue used, the cutting and design on it is relevant to it's period of c,1840s etc.  It's just so totally different to your piece in my eyes.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 08:40:41 AM »
Thanks m, looking at various stylised depictions of acanthus some do include similar round structures, they seem to represent very young leaves that are yet to unfurl. The depiction of acanthus with those ball like leaves is the mooted similarity with the blue becher.

The decanter/carafe you link to on ebay shares a similar thick layer of white with that deep cutting again - from the photos it looks as though some wheel cutting is likely with those deep scallops. The gilding is more elaborate than this decanter but I could see them having the same source. I wonder if there were glasses to match...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 09:19:31 AM »
Acanthus was used prolifically (from what I have seen from memory) on many, many Bohemian designs.  I don't see that as a link at all between the pieces :)
I don't think they have any similarity at all.
I'm nowhere near any books at the moment so can't give any more help on that for a while.  I haven't often seen the white over green though - usually see red or blue.

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 03:29:20 PM »
I was looking more at the finish of the cutting/polishing on the becher in my link being similar to that on John’s decanter. The surface is very smooth and flowing and blended.

To me, the decanter on eBay looks more obviously cut and crisp. Other than that… ??? :)

Don’t think there’s anything to help in McConnell’s The Decanter.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand