No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut glass pedestal stem cream jug???  (Read 559 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Cut glass pedestal stem cream jug???
« on: October 13, 2022, 10:17:47 AM »
Picked up a fantastically cut glass jug which has many Georgian attributes like notched
handle the terminal where the handle joins the body has multiple parallel lines which reminds
me of a Richardsons claret jug which i used to own and i wonder if it might of been made by them?
That is the only possibility i have as most will know it is really hard to attribute older cut glass.
Would love to know other peoples thoughts on the jug as to age and maker anything really i like it
a lot as it is not that common to find jugs with pedestal stems my first anyway. The piece measures
15 cm or 6"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Cut glass pedestal stem cream jug???
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 09:10:43 AM »
Hi, nice jug, I always like the horizontal cuts like around the neck. Nice compact size too. It looks 1820s/1830s? Has it got a slightly grey colour and lots of wear, grazing etc to the high points? Don’t know enough about it really.

I think Paul s. often recommended Phelps Warren Irish Glass (revised addition) for this sort of thing. For example, see this post, not a jug but similar subject: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,57215.msg324162.html#msg324162
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Re: Cut glass pedestal stem cream jug???
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 10:09:55 AM »
Thank you it appears to have minor wear and tear not what you might expect on something that had been
in use for a couple of hundred years although i agree with you 100% on it looks first half of 1800 but i think
it maybe has been made to look rather than it is. Still amazing work isn't it the glass is a little bright and not
so much greyish in appearance. Possibly it has not been used too much but i would imagine of a later date
than it appears.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand