No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dwarf ale glass identification  (Read 513 times)

Offline ADJC1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 18th century glass, dwarf ales
    • United Kingdom
Dwarf ale glass identification
« on: January 27, 2023, 06:36:43 PM »
Hi all - many thanks for your help in advance.

Early in my collecting (dwarf ale glasses) I bought a glass on ebay as a reference piece for early 20th century ale glasses. It was bought with the description of "Rare Stevens and Williams manufactured in the 1920s. Designed by Gordon Russell as part of his Lygon range".

The seller wasn't 100% sure about the glass, but he was certain it wasn't 18th century. Afterwards I've found images of the Lygon range by Stevens and Williams and my glass doesn't seem to match up. In addition, I've seen similar glasses for sale since with an earlier date attributed to them (mid to late 18th century).

This I've attached a photo of the glass. It is clearly lighter in colour than 18th century ale glasses and the wrythening is noticeably tight (not seen this in reference books or on the websites of reputable dealers) around the top of the bowl.

Additional points to note are that the bead of glass inside is far more pronounced and exaggerated when compared to my other glasses.
In addition, the foot is conical, oddly misshapen and with a pontil mark. Some wear is on the underside of the foot.

Any help identifying it would be appreciated as I'm curious for my future collecting. My own feeling is that it is a reproduction (can't be certain of the date).

Cheers!

Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ADJC1

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Dwarf ale glass identification
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 11:58:43 AM »
more photos attached

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 08:40:24 PM »
Hi and welcome. I’ve not seen the Lygon glasses before, but assuming this link is correct, then I agree that your glass isn’t one: https://www.woolleyandwallis.co.uk/PrintLot?id=299114

At the end of this topic, Paul s. says there’s a small book on dwarf ales: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69204.msg385567.html#msg385567 might be worth finding a copy if you don’t have it already.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline ADJC1

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:56:46 PM »
Many thanks for the reply.

I've also seen this: https://www.artnet.com/artists/gordon-russell/suite-of-lygon-wrythen-glassware-P19xbXvxpeRa8awB9a7isw2

As you said, clearly not part of this range.

I have the book suggested in that thread and alas nothing like that glass in it.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 11:01:50 PM »
No help there then :D

How about the size of the foot, the diameter of the foot is supposed to be larger than that of the rim on 18th c glasses isn’t it?

I did what you did and bought a more modern glass for comparison of colour but it had a gadget mark - well a shear mark so probably used with a gadget - so I was sure of the age.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 02:35:14 PM »
fwiw i have three of these and they definitely have a manganese blush, meaning they predate the 1880s and have had a lot of sun. Foot is hand finished, so not in a clapper, pontil sheared off and unfinished.

Offline ADJC1

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 09:17:24 PM »
Interesting! They do have a pale green glow under UV lighting (365 nm). Do you happen to have any pictures of yours? I'd be curious to see them. See is your thinking that it (they) are Victorian reproductions or something along those lines?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand