No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: green glass vase with etched mark on base Art Deco design  (Read 534 times)

Offline Rooster

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
green glass vase with etched mark on base Art Deco design
« on: February 05, 2023, 05:35:24 PM »
Hi, I don’t know whether anyone can help me I’ve been scouring the Internet to try and find out something about my glass vase possibly Uranium green I haven’t tested it with a UV light but it does have a mark on the base which I can’t seem to trace anywhere, looks like 3 linked ‘c’s picture attached. Possibly Czech perhaps? Did find some info on what looked like the same vase describing it as Vaseline Glass Vase with raised figures of revelling bacchantes around the full circumference….hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the mark on the base. ….many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: green glass vase with etched mark on base Art Deco design
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 08:26:21 PM »
Hi and welcome. This article is interesting:

https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Frosted-Czech-glass-or-Lalique

Fig. 15 shows four pages from a catalogue that looks like it might include your vase (page in top left quadrant of picture). It says the catalogue is from the 1950s, from 1930s moulds….that were also mostly in use again in the 1990s!

And have a look at this current Preciosa (Desna?) catalogue of reproductions: https://www.preciosa-ornela.com/content/files/downloads/Catalogue-Decorative-Glass_en.pdf Your vase looks like it might be the same design as no. 25602 ‘People’ on page 5.

There are clues in the Realorrepro article on how to recognise more recent work. Hopefully someone will identify the mark and tie it down to a decade and maker, assume it wouldn’t have to be by Desna.

It’s good to find out that this type of depiction of figures is called bacchantes, it seems a common theme.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 12:29:35 AM »
I think this was originally a Halama design, also issued after the war also under the Jablonec Glass and later Desna brands. Copies also possible from firms such as ‘Czech it Out’ & ‘Schubert Crystal’.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 01:23:35 AM »
Just to add that thanks to a Pressglas-Korrespondenz article, I've been able to identify the mark on your vase as being a Desna mark for second-quality pieces. See image in top right column p. 3 here: https://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/geisel-schubert-hoffmann-schlevogt-engl.pdf

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Rooster

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 06:20:37 PM »
Amazing, thank you for spending time on this and proving such interesting background information and resources…I’m going to have good read through this evening.  You are right about the image, it does look the same, just a different colour.  I’m so pleased to have a reference for the mark on the base as not being able to find anything was frustrating …..The vase was a present, I’ve probably had it for about 10 years or so….it’s a beautiful vase and I shall always enjoy looking at it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand