No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted Victorian jug  (Read 182 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Frosted Victorian jug
« on: May 26, 2024, 08:43:03 PM »
Nice example of an abrasive frosted Victorian jug. Not sure of a specific date but it has a top down handle and abrasive frosting. 7 inches tall.

The texture of the frosting looks quite uniform so it’s understandable it might be thought acid frosted but you can see around the handle that this isn’t the case. In the x175 magnification image it is obviously abrasive frosted, probably using a technique similar to that mentioned in a 1861 patent “…ground by means of wet sand or of emery, applied by a brush wheel composed of wire, and revolving in a lathe or in a glass grinders’ frame” see https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,70868.msg397299.html#msg397299
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Frosted Victorian jug
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 08:44:38 PM »
For comparison, I have included the x175 image of Northwood acid frosting developed c.1867. Ref https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,70755.msg407674.html#msg407674

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 08:55:25 PM »
That looks nicely made.  I like the cut thumb area.  Is the rim fire-polished or cut and polished?

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 09:16:53 PM »
It looks quite elegant. The rim is cut and polished at the sides, fire polished at the front. The handle is entirely cut on the outside and down the sides, just the inside of the loop is uncut. I hadn’t thought about it too much, all that cutting on the handle is a bit posh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2024, 11:33:18 PM »
All of it looks really beautifully made: The handle, the cut decoration on the body, the merese and the star cut foot.  It looks to be very good quality.  Is it heavy as a matter of interest?
I've never really been sure about the star cut bases and whether they can indicate a time frame - however 10 years ago or so Paul made some comments on this thread about 16 point star indicating 1830 and discussed how the star was cut.  Interesting but as I say, I'm not sure how indicative it is of age as I don't know anything about this area and I don't know if info has changed in the meantime since then.
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52446.msg297765.html#msg297765

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 08:38:52 AM »
Thanks, I remember reading that from Paul. The thing about counting the cuts on the stars seemed a bit unreliable as it would be so easy for manufacturers to do it differently. Maybe a smaller star would have fewer cuts etc. The Miller’s glass Antiques Checklist, Mark West (consultant), says it’s difficult dating 19th century jugs and the only applicable dating point he mentions is the style of the handle. Top down being the style before c.1870. I would guess 1850 to 1870.

It weighs 600g which doesn’t feel particularly light or heavy and nicely made, as you say.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 12:03:35 PM »
Nice piece and perfect timing with all the info on frosting as I’ve been looking up on this piece ,thanks .!

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 12:46:56 PM »
I keep plugging away at frosting :)

Nice jug, more unusual decoration with the cut star I think. There is a pressed jug from Percival Yates reg. 183352 dated 1865 that has a similar type of star decoration, so might indicate a date for your blown/cut one if that’s when the design was fashionable. https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,66313.msg371634.html#msg371634

The PY one is also shown on the Love Decanters frosted jug YouTube video (in my view his are unlikely to be acid frosted as he states though). He shows the book reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G2SL2A2cGw

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 03:03:50 PM »
Thanks Ekimp , really useful info .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia