No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 3 new glass pieces - much ID needed CAITHNESS MURANO?  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
3 new glass pieces - much ID needed CAITHNESS MURANO?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 04:47:51 AM »
Carolyn,

So what makes mine murano (as identified by I think Frank) and this one Chalet

I think it's the cased white, metallic inclusions, style, general weight, etc. I don't believe that Chalet was ever of that style.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »
Quote from: "Cathy Bannister"
Carolyn,

So what makes mine murano (as identified by I think Frank) and this one Chalet

I think it's the cased white, metallic inclusions, style, general weight, etc. I don't believe that Chalet was ever of that style.

I agree Cathy - I've not seen any Chalet glass with silver or gold inclusions. Also, have a look at the style of the chunky bases of some of the Chalet pieces on the Blais site - they look (generally speaking) fairly distinctive.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 09:55:21 AM »
Hi Carolyn.  :D   Don't worry about being confused, it's part of learning and it's good you ask questions.

The thing with identifying glass is that you have to take into account a multitude of factors.  Mere shape is never conclusive and as Cathy said, other factors include weight, colour, the finishing of the base or rim, tool-marks, any additions to the glass - such as metal inclusions and over-all 'feel'.

It's only once you've ticked all the boxes that you can make a stab at attribution for an unsigned piece.  Of course, more experienced 'glassies' can get a 'gut feel' about a piece from fewer certainties, but that takes time and a bit of 'sticking your neck out'.   :lol:

Keep asking questions, we're all still learning here (speaking for myself really!) - it never stops, and you'll pick up information as you go along.
 :D
I am not a man

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 12:59:06 PM »
The "Chalet" bowl is different from the Murano bowls like Carolyn's. The red one is much deeper, almost vase like, with much bigger inner "petals". It also has only three inner and outer petals.

The Murano ones seem to come in all the colours, with and without bubbles, gold, silver or murrines but they generally seem to be what you could describe as oversized ashtrays and appear to have similar dimensions. The inner petals only stick up about 0.75 inches from the outer ones.

I suspect Chalet has taken a twist on a classic Murano design.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »
Christine said:

I think so.  The Blais site says that Chalet has a Venetian glass influence, and I read somewhere that Chalet was started by a Italian glass craftsman/men.

Can't find the place where I read that though.
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 03:22:34 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
Christine said:

I think so.  The Blais site says that Chalet has a Venetian glass influence, and I read somewhere that Chalet was started by a Italian glass craftsman/men.

Can't find the place where I read that though.

Yep that's right Max - the Canadian government flew in Murano glassartists specifically in order to start up the Chalet glassworks.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 01:43:50 AM »
Well darn, here I was thinking I actually knew something  :roll:  :lol:

bigger inner "petals". It also has only three inner and outer petals

Petals is a good way of describing the scoops. Oh well, live and learn some more  :lol:

Carolyn

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
more
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 03:59:05 AM »
A little more clarification regarding the red cigar ashtray from Chalet. My understanding of the explanation that the red piece is Chalet includes the fact that there's a massive heft and thickness to the glass. Also the Murano shown above has a white or milky "lining," whereas the Chalet wouldn't. The clear glass "lips" or "handles;" those small protrusions - are also indicative of Chalet. The lady had other points regarding Chalet versus Murano.

The Caithness bud vase is not a common item sold in the U.S. We don't usually see this line from Caithness. Many stores had (or have) actual Caithness display cases for paperweights. I've seen a lot of the paperweight showcases in a variety of stores. These are lit from within with mirrored tiers and interior lighting - mini-showrooms from the distributor/manufacturer, approximately two feet high.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 08:45:54 AM »
The Murano bowls also have clear outer protrusions, so that's not exclusive to Chalet. If you look down the postings on Carolyn's thread, you can see my bowl, which has the clear outer petals.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
no
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2006, 09:13:13 AM »
It's already been established by an expert and accepted that the red cigar ashtray in my thread is not Murano, but is Chalet Art Glass. This isn't really a discussion about Murano, unless it's about the "purple basket," which could be Murano or American art glass, or who knows what. Czech even.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand