No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vases with naked ladies.  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Gill

• Members
vases with naked ladies.
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:36:47 AM »
Hello, picked up a pair of these vases very cheaply, they stand 21.5cms high and have 3 naked ladies around the side, all with slightly different arm positions, obviously modern but I'd be interested in finding out the age and maker if possible, glass is clear.  thanks in anticipation, Gill

URL: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3935

URL: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3934

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:20:44 PM »
Hi Gill,
These are Libbey Glass. I have one too  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gill

• Members
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 12:50:46 PM »
Thankyou Della, worth more than 50p each do you think? :wink:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 07:05:24 AM »
I've seen them on ebay. I can't remember how much they sold for, but, if I can remember them being on there, they were definetly worth more than 50p.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »
I just sold two of those for $4.99.  I looked at the buyer's feedback and he collects them, he's paid anywhere from my little $4.99 on up to $30.00.

Offline butchiedog

• Members
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 09:36:17 PM »
Hello,

Ummm...  those are not vases, but were made by Libbey for tavern supply companies and drinks were served in them at night clubs, where the drinker was supposed to keep the glass. --- Mike

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »
Mike's right, they are drinking glasses.  Forgot to mention that.

Offline Gill

• Members
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 06:07:16 PM »
Now that is interesting! I did look at them and thought it would be possible to drink from them, especially when I heard they were made by Libby. Are they all the same design? Or are some different? How many of these would anyone want , nice as they are? Anyone any idea when they were made.  thanks to all, Gill :)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 07:30:33 PM »
Gill,

I don't know for sure if your Libbey glasses were done in different versions or not, since I didn't really pay much attention to them back in the 80s when clubs were offering these glasses along with their drink special of the day, which in many cases had a name related to something sexual. Most people never kept them, although they were allowed to, since the price of the drink covered the glass. I have seen some that were nude men and woman torsos, but I'm not sure if they were made by Libbey too. I think many people who collect bar & tavern related glasses might have the most interest in these items, but those I know who are into this type of collecting are rarely interested is who made what etc., like a serious glass collector might be, but instead they collect these items because they like them is all, a memento of a night out on the town maybe, or just as novelty items to display in their homes, some of which have an area set up like a bar. --- Mike

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
vases with naked ladies.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 07:41:37 PM »
I know that they were given a number of different names, like Dancing Nymphs, Dancing Nudes, Dance of the Nudes, La Femme and Baby Dolls.
They are also sold as a julep glass, although that doesn't mean a thing to me (forgive my ignorance  :oops:  )

For the rest, I do not know  :cry:  sorry.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand