No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are these Bohemian Lamps?  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Are these Bohemian Lamps?
« on: January 16, 2007, 06:10:31 PM »
I'm posting this for a friend of mine that is having some problems in registering herself.  Do these look Bohemian to you?  I can't seem to find a pattern in the American Brilliant catalogs, so just checking to see if anyone could recognize this as being Bohemian.  Thanks in advance. 
Nancy

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4590
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4589

And on a side note.....Anne, the friend I'm posting this for keeps on getting errors.  She has tried and tried and tried to register on this board, and it recognizes her email address from the Elegant and Depression board (here in the States) that she posted another piece of glass on so the board here won't let her on.  She has tried creating a completely different name and has tried the email address of her kids ....but the darn Glass Messages Board said she can't have two names from the same computer (it obviously recognized she was on the same computer).    Any suggestions on what she should do?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Are these Bohemian Lamps?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:11:13 PM »
Hi Nancy, there is no way that any other board settings can stop anyone using this board - it's just not possible. Smiley

I suspect what she is seeing is that the login box is being filled in by her browser (it's one of those helpful things that browsers do) and so she is assuming this board is recognising her. What is probably happening is that the browser is remembering that she has used that login/email address in a login field that looks (is constructed) the same as the one here but of course the database (which effectively operates the board) has no record of her so will not allow her in.

The GMB will not allow two registrations from the same email address though, so if she has tried to register and not succeeded I'll probably find her stuck in the pending list. Can you ask your friend to email me directly with the details she's tried to register with here and I'll check it out and get her sorted. My email address is behind the envelope icon to the left of this post if you don't already have it.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:14:49 PM »
Anne- there is not an envelope showing and when I go into the person with holding paper icon the email is hidden.  Could you click on my envelope icon and send me a note?  Then I will have it and can send you her email.  Thanks.
Nancy

Connie

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 10:25:01 AM »
Hi Nancy -

These look later than American Brilliant to me.  I would guess from the 1930s-40s.  Have you looked at the Seneca Glass catalogs?

Did your friend have the lamps before they were rewired?  The type of the original cord and plug is often the best indicator of age.

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 05:16:54 PM »
Thanks to Nancy for posting photos of my lamps and Anne for assistance registering. 

Connie, the plugs had been cut off when I received the lamps.  I replaced the cords, keeping the original Leviton candelabra sockets, reinserting the Leviton on-off switches and replacing the cardboard candle covers.  The original cords were plastic but obviously old.  The lamps are 11" tall (28 cm) and the diameter of the top is 6" (15 cm).  The glass is 1/4" (7 mm) thick and all one piece with holes drilled for light socket insertion and cord exit at the base. They were claimed to be "early" American Brilliant glass cut glass, but I bought them for their magnificent cutting.  For those who respect black light testing, the glass fluoresces more of a yellow green than the lime green of authentic American Brilliant cut glass. 

I've turned to this board as collectors of primarily American glass state that the flat top rim and shape of the lamps they are Bohemian. 

Mod: Photo's uploaded to GlassGallery:

This is the Leviton switch and original cord:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6048

Photo of the top:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6047

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:42:13 PM »
Leviton have been around a long time and that type of switch could be 1920's-50's, but you could try th Leviton they might have a archivist who can date the switch. Bear in mind it could well be a later addition too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand