No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Gulvase 10" Red-Orange? Confirmation appreciated  (Read 1797 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Holmegaard Gulvase 10" Red-Orange? Confirmation appreciated
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
Hi,

I haven't been able to find a reference piece anywhere to reassure me that I've got this one right.  Hooped vase included for colour reference as it is definitely orange!

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4600

Weight approx 460g, height is 10.25".

If it is Holmegaard, did they make particular colours in certain years - or all colours from the start of production of the design?

If anyone is able to confirm the maker of the hooped vase - I thought maybe Holmegaard too - and tell me anything else about it that would be wonderful too.

Back to the dusting.............

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Gulvase 10" Red-Orange? Confirmation appreciated
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »
Looks about right to me.

When it comes to the cased Gulvase, they were only initially made in white (Holmegaard called it 'opal') and shortly after that available in red (Coral), blue, red-orange, bright green, dark green, yellow with a white inside and yellow with a yellow inside.

Opal and the yellow/yellow combination were phased out about 1970, and the other colours produced until 1980. There's also a super-rare sage green colour, carried over from Kastrup's palette, which I've only seen twice on a Gulvase.

The hooped one isn't Holmegaard. I'd guess at Alsterfors or similar (but that's just a guess).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:21:34 PM »
I think you're right about the orange one Nic - I'm fairly sure it's Alsterfors also.

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:15:10 PM »
Hope you don't mind me coming in here.. Gulvvase = vase large enough to stand on the floor. Gulv=floor and well, vase=vase, but I'm sure you already knew that. If I'm out of line, just say so but perhaps it would be handy having someone who speaks danish and swedish?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:36:43 PM »
The first production models of the Gulvase back in 1962 at Kastrup were generally 17"-19" - and so were designed for floor use. It was only later that they made smaller models - but the name still stuck.

And, of course, in Danish a yellow/yellow Gulvase is a gul/gul Gulvase.  ;D

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »
Yep, you're right. Sorry, I'll keep quiet  :-[

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 08:43:35 PM »
Please don't - any input is always welcome.  :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »
When it comes to the cased Gulvase...

A few corrections derived from the original catalogues, rather than incorrect reference books.  ::)

Gulvase is in fact an error, and it should be Gulvvase with two v's. Also, this isn't actually a range name, just a description - Kastrup/Holmegaard applied the same name equally to any other large vases meant to be placed on the floor.

And colours...

Kastrup produced cased Gulvvaser from about 1963 until 1965, and they were available in Opal cased in clear, and Opal cased in Selenrød (a dark ruby red). The latter was produced by Kastrup-Holmegaard until c.1967, when it was replaced by Coral (an orangey-red). Opal cased in clear seems to have been in production until at least 1974/5.

Blue/Opal and Yellow/Clear seem to have been introduced around c.1967 too, with Yellow/Clear being replaced by Yellow/Opal around 1974-ish.

No idea when Green/Opal went into production, or how long it lasted for, nor do I have any firm date for when Gulvvase was entirely discontinued.

But that's all I've got so far.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand