No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard - Mistaken Identity...  (Read 15975 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard - Mistaken Identity...
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:46:45 PM »
Thanks, Pip - but it's just an idea liberally 'borrowed' from Whitefriars.com. Although mine won't be interactive.

Have already got the Elme covered from my own stockpile: Photo, but I may snaffle the other one. I'll drop you a line first when the time comes to sorting them. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »

Here's one that I have, Nic........... made by Hirschberg, Germany (labelled).

If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 06:19:18 PM »
Mine just has a 'Foreign' foil label on its bum, which wasn't too uncommon with Swedish glass for export. Ivo suggested Elme for it a while back.

The similarities are striking, though.  ???

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 06:35:35 PM »
Here's one that I often see on ebay identified as Holmegaard
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_694.jpg

I think it's Italian.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 07:00:42 PM »
It shouldn't be *too* long before it's up and ready, as it will only be a basic slip of a thing...

Now where have I heard that before...? ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »
Nic,

Quite a while ago, there was a thread about some Holmegaard look-a-like glasses labelled Målerås:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3836.0.html

The original auction photos have gone but if you would like a piccy, I've a couple of the what I *think* are the Målerås look-a-likes I can dig out.

Robbo
robbo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »
That would be fantastic, if you could. I've been kicking myself for ages for not saving the photos from that auction! Thanks!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 09:52:11 PM »
This one's a real is it is or is it ain't?

Gulvase

It's an ain't, I'd say, though. The colour's ALL wrong, and the white isn't white enough. But the form is spot-on. Scarily lots of direct copies with just slightly-off colours fell out of Italy.

So I'll also be hoping to catalogue as many of the genuine HG colours as possible with pictoral examples, as they can play such an important role buying a vase worth £100-200 and buying one worth £10-20.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »
gosh - I'd no idea there were copycat gulvases.  The colour, although unusual, wouldn't alert me to this not being 'right' - I don't know the full range of colours unfortunately and I think I'd be more likely to assume it was a dodgy picture rather than a weird colour.  However, I think the rim might trigger something - it's just too narrow, the proportions aren't quite right there - the flat rim on my gulvase is like a dinner plate (Ok I'm exaggerating but you get my point).  What do you think of the rim on that one Nic?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 03:20:06 AM »
I thought it was a bit squiffy to start with, but I dragged out a couple of mine with labels and I have one that's not quite so flat with narrower proportions too.

H'm... I don't know now that I've had time to pnder it - it may very well be just a duff photograph with washed-out colours. But they're selling another Gulvase and the colour looks fairly spot-on with that one.

There are so many copies out there that I'd avoid any variation on eBay like the plague - even at the risk of missing out on a prototype/one-off piece. With the uncased Gulvase it's even harder to tell the fakes from the originals, even with handling them yourself. I once had one in jet black (well, very VERY dark purple), and I was convinced it was a super-rare real thing until I found a stall with two on at a nearby antique fair!  ;D

I think there was another on eBay recently - I'll see if I can find the auction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand