No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson? Burtles/Tate? Sowerby? vaseline dish  (Read 1117 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Davidson? Burtles/Tate? Sowerby? vaseline dish
« on: February 08, 2007, 12:12:17 AM »
Hi all
I just got this in the mail and I believe it to be made by one of the companies in the Stourbridge region of England during the early 1900's.  I have never been able to find any reference to it, however.  The seller was waaaaay off base, calling it contemporary Gibson glass from the USA.  Here is a link to the completed auction.  Any help is appreciated.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190077291496

Dave
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Davidson? Burtles/Tate? Sowerby? vaseline dish
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:33:45 AM »
Dave — As it is so distinctive I am sure that I would have remembered it, had I ever seen one.   So, as I an sure that I have never seen one, it is probably not British.

Also the base star is not typical of any of the larger British pressed glassworks, whose base stars were much more accurate copies of cut base stars.   We were discussing Jacobean by Davidson and Inwald recently, and the base star is one way of telling them apart.   Your base star is more Inwald than Davidson.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand