No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Am I Scottish? Small signed vase - ID = Deborah Fladgate  (Read 3432 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Am I Scottish? Small signed vase - ID = Deborah Fladgate
« on: February 11, 2007, 02:27:45 PM »
Hi Frank et al,

I wondered if this might be Scottish.  2.75" tall, broken off and partly polished pontil - it's flat and smooth rather than concave.  Signature and the number 589 - I cannot read the signature but it might be familiar to anyone who has seen it before.

If I'm not Scottish - please move me to the general board.  Thank you for looking
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Am I Scottish? Small signed vase
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 03:33:19 PM »
Piece of studio glass that could come from anywhere :)  (Moved)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 06:27:52 PM »
A better photo of the signature might help - the angle only seems to show half of it. Also can't read the number - where is that?
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:07:18 PM »
I have tried to get a shot of the whole signature but it's tiny and I can't get it all at the right angle and in focus - even in macro.  The bit I've put is the beginning.  The number is 589 - I thought maybe Scottish as, apart from the way the pontil is done, I saw that some of the pieces have a number as a colourway code..........a little knowledge being very dangerous with glass.

I can take a shot of that if it would help??  I will have another bash.  Open to ideas if anyone has any for taking this type of shot..............

Thanks Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:05:04 PM »
589 sounds like May 89, which feels right...

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 10:23:22 PM »
I don't recognise the piece, but like Frank, I did think that 589 could be May 89, or it could be S 89 for Summer 89 or Studio 89 depending on how it was set out. From the photo of the signature it could possibly be Fladgate, which would suggest Deborah Fladgate, but I reiterate that I do not recognise this as a piece of her work (which doesn't mean that it isn't hers).

You would need to look at the signature again to see if Fladgate is a possibility and then if so seek confirmation directly from her.

Signatures are difficult to photograph. :)

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 11:10:27 PM »
aa-mazing!  Fladgate it is - once you know what it might say it's so obvious!!!!  And I had another look at the number - could easily be S89 rather than 589. 

It's a really cute piece and even nicer now that I can find out more about the maker.

Many thanks
Cat
Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 11:21:34 PM »
Have just done a little more research to find out about Deborah Fladgate and it seems she's based in Kinnesswood, Scotland................so it looks like "I'm Scottish after all"!  Cat
Cat 😺

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 12:16:16 AM »
If in checking, you get her CV, work sample pics, contact data, etc. She can go into Scotlands Glass, credited to you for doing the work.  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:25:11 PM »
 ;D

Deborah Fladgate is Scottish. Rather a well respected artist too.
I believe she won the prize at the SGS Exhibition last time it was in the Strathearn Gallery in Crieff. (2/3 years ago.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand