Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

info request for S. Clarke 'night light' holder.

(1/2) > >>

Paul S.:
Night light holders seem to have had a bad press and been ignored - nothing in the index in my books on pressed, and nothing came up on the search here - too utilitarian possibly.    This piece is 6 inches/150mm in diameter  -  2.3/8 inches/60mm high (bit like the Tower of Babel).   The embossed wording on the inside reads  "S. CLARKES/PATENT/TRADE MARK/FAIRY" (obviously the 'good old days' when you could say 'fairy' without the fear of litigation) - and with heavy wear to the high spots on the underside, and no Reg. No. or other marks that I can see.    I have a feeling that possibly there may have been another piece/whatever that was placed inside the top of the tower  -  as there seems some slightly inexplicable wear on the first inside 'wavey step' (but I could be wrong on that).    Alternatively, was the idea that a short squat candle was placed in the centre (with of course water in the surrounding 'moat'.   Can anyone confirm this  -  also would be very grateful if anyone is able to indicate a date range of manufacture, and perhaps a source of printed information on these items.   Thanks for looking.
P.S.  In total I found three differrent types of 'night light' holder yesterday morning - must be a record I feel - will show the other two later some time.

chopin-liszt:
Fairy lights are a collectable area in their own right, Paul - like pws or perfume bottles. I think most of the market is in the states, though. There are websites dedicated to them, but I can't remember where I found them atm.

They do normally have a dome on the top, they also mostly seem to have stems of some sort - they come in several bits.

Paul S.:
quote from chopin-liszt today..........'They do normally have a dome on the top, they also mostly seem to have stems of some sort - they come in several bits.........Sue, that's the down side of buying your collectibles from boot sales unfortunately - this is the only 'piece' I have.    Failed again :cry:

Anne:
All you ever wanted to know about Fairy Lamps and more:
http://www.fairy-lamp.com/
and a collector's website with even more of them:
http://fairylamps.co.uk/ :thup:

Paul S.:
thanks very much Anne  -  really appreciate your help, as I know you have so much else to do. :)   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version