No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: face sculpture/box  (Read 4963 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
face sculpture/box
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »
Well I have no idea what it is to be honest.  I bought it because I really really would love a Bengt Edenfalk thalatta vase..... ::)  (a nice ariel or graal piece might suffice though ;D)  but that is unlikely to ever happen.

So when I saw this, I just could not resist.  I think it is absolutely fascinating.  Especially since it came as a lidded box.  I don't think the two pieces are supposed to be together really but they came together and were bought by the previous owners together.
However, I have absolutely no idea where it has come from.
I have searched interminably and zilch so far.  There may be a number of possibles but nothing I have been able to pinpoint.  I had one artist who I thought may have been the originator but have lost the link  :thud:
So, I'm passing the puzzle over and if anyone knows?  that would be fantastic  :)  I believe it was bought originally in Denmark.

Many thanks and I hope you like it.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: face sculpture/box
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 06:10:35 AM »
No idea, but it's lovely, well done! :hiclp:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »
thanks  :) 
The design is all internal.  I wonder if the  face texture, which looks like millions of bubbles, may have perhaps been orginally a material of some sort?  I think the eye is amazing - it looks at you, very weird.
I did find somewhere, a reference to someone experimenting with ink and bubbles etc, but I lost the link  ::) -  so annoying - and now I can't remember who it was they were referring to.
m

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:20:26 AM »
It almost looks like some sort of fibrous stuff that's burnt away and vanished in the process, leaving only trails of bubbles. :sm: Or maybe not, just an idea :)  :ooh:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
I'm keeping my beady eyes on this - it's fascinating and lovely.
It has a lot of the features I love about Benny Motzfeldt's work - strange inclusions. I wondered if it might have been glass fires used to create the effect.
I don't think it looks like a Benny piece, but I'm still watching and waiting to find out what it is.
I'd have grabbed it too.... if I'd seen it, and if M. wasn't looking, and if I had a spare place I could sneak it into, and if I had any spare cash!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:40:22 PM »
thanks all :)  Cathy yes, I thought maybe 'something' textile ish may have been used to create the face effect.  Sue, I knew you'd like it as well :) and it does have something Benny ish about it.  Can I ask what do you mean by glass fires?  I've tried to look that up but I don't understand terminology that well so I'm probably looking in the wrong place.
I seem to have exhausted my entire list of Scandinavian designers who did bubbles, texture etc (not to say I've exhausted them all, but the ones I have been able to find and recall) and moved onto maybe Czech.  But I keep coming back to Scandinavian.  Bertil Vallien was mentioned when I bought it but I discounted him on the basis it would presumably have been signed and it didn't look like any of the sculptures I had seen that he has made.
Also I did find my link and it was to do with Bengt Edenfalk but I misremembered what I had read and it talked about experimenting with 'dies'  ;D  not inks!  I'll keep going.
I wonder if it is either a quite early piece from someone and has some age to it, or is from a young designer perhaps?
Strangely on one of my searches I came across some Kubus glass lidded boxes from Wilhelm Wagenfeld - it looks as though it may be paired with a box that looks similar to one of those (but I couldn't match the size so probably not his)- but that led me onto yet another area.

I'll let you know if I find out any more.
m

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 01:42:21 AM »
Glass fires = glass fibres? That would be possible, the little bubbles might be trapped as the fibres were marvered in, then reheating makes them disappear?

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:59:37 AM »
I too am keepin an eye on this thread ;)
I'm 100 % certain that the box part isn't WW as they aree more rounded and made of matt glass ( if matt is the right term )

http://www.lauritz.com/Item/Item.aspx?LanguageId=1&ItemId=2046258&ReturnUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.lauritz.com%2fItemList%2fItemList.aspx%3fLanguageId%3d1%26DC%3d1%26CPIn%3d2%26ISz%3d0%26PSz%3d30%26PSzG%3d30%26SO%3d3%26ST%3d0%26IgId%3d36%26TTyp%3d0%26TVal%3d0%26FLId%3d1%26FCId%3d1%26FText%3d%26LLan%3dFalse%26New%3d0%232046258EndTagRU#

Bertil Vallien did do texture in glass in the 60's and 70's but I don't think it's him either.
I look forward to "hearing" more
a40ty :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:19:07 PM »
 :ooh:

Typo, I did mean glass fibres, yes, sorry.
As in fibreglass, angel hair for xmas trees, house insulation, and optic cables.....boat building material....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand