No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Lamp Base, is it Whitefriars?  (Read 5475 times)

shugdens

Another Lamp Base, is it Whitefriars?
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »
I got this lampbase today & whilst it was part of a job lot of glass including three other wf pieces, I'm not expert enough to give a 100% id.
I'd go to whitefriars.com but I think they may still hold a grudge after our falling out a few years ago  ::)

This is a lovely lamp & I'm realy thinking it is a WF one.. more hoping than thinking right now ...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/WhiteRose1649/hhhhgf.jpg

I'm getting quite a collection of lamp bases right now, I need to get flogging them  :o

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Another Lamp Base, is it Whitefriars?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
Hi, not Whitefriars looks Czech maybe?
Chris

shugdens

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
Hi, not Whitefriars looks Czech maybe?
Chris
Its base & pontil was ground out, its a wf colour & the knobbly range made me think. WF... damn I payed a lot for that lot... hope I get my money back .

Anne wheres that hangman emote again?   

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »
Sorry I cannot be more positive though I did learn a long time ago never to say never but with this one I am pretty sure, it's not shape I have ever seen ? have a look at Emmi's blog I think most of catalogued ones are there.

http://whitefriarsknobblies.blogspot.com/

Chris

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
I'm probably way off here and dragging my memory to think before looking it up, but it reminds me of Aseda? maybe an Aseda decanter?  As I say, I could be way off though.
I like it - I hope it turns out to be something good for you.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »
Ah Steven our posts clashed   -  I'm impressed with myself that I remembered that then ;D

shugdens

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:18:50 PM »
Ta for the help folks, can I be cheaky and ask what you recon the value it. I prommice I've locked all sharp implaments & asprin away...

shugdens

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:10 PM »
theres a decanter set on ebay for £60, i was hoping for £50 on the lamp so I'm a little less un-nerved now.

I payed a whoping £125 for the lot including comision fees on the asumption the lamp was Whitefriars..

Theres an intresting lemonade jug & stirer, a 60s cutglass/faceted ashtray thats also intresting & what I thought was a holmegaard vase that might be another scandi in it.
Theres also one of those huge vases with lids that people are always selling as holmegaard in it.

Oh well it wasnt as intresting as last weeks lampbase after all, I'll try again next week  ;D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 11:37:12 PM »
Your lamp base is Scottish and made in the 1970s by John Airlie. Nice to see another one:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26202.msg144612.html#msg144612

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand