No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Eisglas posy vases.  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Possible Eisglas posy vases.
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:31:11 PM »
These have a similarity in surface look/feel to a leaf dish from last year.... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35577.0.html... which was confirmed as probably Bohemian/German or French.    The gold coloured painting and general unchipped condition is remarkably good for the fact that these Nautilus posy/violet vases may well have originated in the last quarter of the C19.           
Dirk's previous comment that..............."marvered in shards, which are reheated and fire polished to makethe surface smooth"  -  looks to be the most likely method of producing the rough surface in this instance.      Maximum height is 4.25" - 108mm.     The feet have ground/polished/bevelled outer rims, the thickness of which - typical for this period -  is quite variable in thickness  -  likewise the top rim.     The slightly 'V' shaped bands have also been cut and polished prior to gilding.
Of course, if anyone does have a specific factory in mind, please do let me know, and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
Re: Possible Eisglas posy vases.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »
Would I be right in thinking the correct name for these is Cornucopia ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »
well, that did occur to me also, but having looked briefly at Wiki I came to the conclusion that a Cornucopia was more of a horn like structure...........but let's see what others think. :)

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »
I think you are probably right. I can only think its one of those words that got used as a generic term as i have seem items of English glass in this shape called a Cornucopia, when in fact as you say the true meaning relates more to a horn than it does to a shell.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »
Lovely. They're nautilus shells.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
thanks Christine  -  go on, you've been reading my post :24: :24:   only joking  -  it's almost the only shell name I know.        I now don't really collect outside of British material, but saw these in the charity shop, and couldn't resist them.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »
What's to say they're not English. It's not just a French or German technique

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
What happened to the term overshot glass?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »
pass.......you tell us :)     With my very scant knowledge of this method of surface decoration, I'm least qualified to comment, however.........I suspect this is a more colloquial Continental description than a standard British term, possibly because of its more frequent application on non-British wares.          I've just looked through the indices of English glass dictionaries of Newman, Elville and Ash.....also both of the Hajdamach volumes and one or two other quite good books............and nowhere do I see the word 'overshot'.

I am aware of its meaning, but only through written posts etc. on the GMB  -  and it arose in particular via a post I did last year re this 'ice crackle water jug..... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34016.msg184040.html#msg184040.....see Craig's P.S. in the fourth item down.

Perhaps, then, it is also a little more popular in America north of Mexico.            For what it's worth, I don't find the word particularly accurate or descriptive of the process or the textured end result...........but maybe I'm just a 'philistine' ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »
There is a very good explanation here of what is termed 'overshot' glass.
Personally, I don't find the term Eisglas very helpful.  
http://www.theglassmuseum.com/overshot.htm
I would think that the index of a book only refers to the contents within the title, so I presume if overshot glass of some type is not included in the volume then it wont be in the index.  Maybe the British didn't make much overshot glass? 
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand