No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors engraved vase - help with pattern dating and designer please.  (Read 4160 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Hi -
Haven't bought much lately due to several household financial disasters   :'(

However bought this several weeks ago and it just arrived today.
I was stunned into silence when I unwrapped it. Absolutely gorgeous !  and even though I knew its size it appears so much larger than I expected. It is optic glass and just reflects light beautifully everywhere. It is engraved with a bird - possibly a phoenix? or a lyrebird.  Very good engraving IMHO. 18 cm  (7 inches)tall and 20 cm  (8 inches) diameter . Ice blue glass.

I have googled, checked my copy of  "Fire and Sea" and searched this forum, but cannot work out what  the code on the base of this means.

Can anyone help please?

As far as I can decipher it (after rubbing brown eyeshadow into the engraved marks) it says

in the standard Orrefors engraved script  - which I have on several other pieces -  orrefors H. 2332. R6.R2.
Am hoping the H stands for Edvard Hald?  No idea what the rest stands for??

then in much finer script on the other side of the base

what looks like r rrof 025 15 B 1 . Now I have just looked at my photos again it could be Orrefors 153 ' 

the second inscription has proved almost impossible to photograph. have done the best I can. Black t shirt inside the vase - dark eyeshadow rubbed into it. If anyone can suggest any other tips to improve the photos am very willing to listen  ;D

will attach more pictures of the signatures in another post.
Thanks

Jackie
West Oz.
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
more signature pictures

Thanks  ;D
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Page 199 in the catalogues 1941  H = Hald As far as i can see , the bird is taking off or landing wings up yes ?almost Swan like . my eyes are not too good these days .

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Thanks JP. so H is Hald - how did you decipher the 1941 ? and does the design have a name?

Yes the bird is flying - wings up, neck outstretched, 2 very long tail feathers dangling down and 2 shorter tail feathers outstretched backwards . Head has a four feathered crest on top raised up so not a swan I don't think (unless there are crested swans?) . Beak slightly open. eye marked as a tiny oval.

Thanks, JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
crane, I think.

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Thanks for the suggestion Ivo.

I just googled crane pictures - they have a  crest so possible, but none seem to have the very long tail feathers this has. Also the Crane crest seems much more fluffy than on the engraved bird - which is distinctly 4 separate feathers gradually reducing in size - more like the crest of a cockatoo.

Have tried a couple more photos of the engraving.
JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Some sort of bird of paradise I think, 'cos if that a crane it got short-changed in the leg department

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Just shows what you can miss when you concentrate too hard on other features! of course its legs are too short for a crane. Thanks Christine!

Have googled birds of paradise and I do believe you have it right. The long tail feathers and crest seem to match - along with the fairly heavy body. Most images were of the  bird of paradise flowers though (strelizia) which i have in my garden. So why didn't I think of bird of paradise!

Thanks very much

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Nothing like the cranes i used to work on , told you my eyes were bad . at the beginning of that section a few pages back there was a table it had H for Hald , age simples it said 1941.
just found a mag glass , in very small print lower down it says  form LU 1541 that sounds like lindstrand sorry if i got it wrong the print is so small and faint , it does look more like a lindstrand piece .

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Hi,

The engraving was designed by Held in 1941, although the vase itself was designed by Lindstrand around 1936. The letters "B6" mean the piece was manufactured in 1949. I see the last two letters as "RR", which would make Ragnar Rosenstam the engraver. If it's "RP", then it's engraved by Rune Pettersson.

Excellent find.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand