No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help With ID of Controlled Bubble Glass Rocket? Vase  (Read 1847 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Help With ID of Controlled Bubble Glass Rocket? Vase
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »
not at all Paul   :)
It's just that with recent discussion on the desirability of Chinese Glass, I thought I would comment.   There are some beautiful pieces of glass made in China out there.  I have a pate de verre lidded pot that is wonderful, does not feel greasy to touch and is unmistakeably Chinese in design (and boxed labelled). 
On the other hand I have also received, and returned, an expensive vase I bought on ebay described as Murano, and from research it really seemed as though it was, but as soon as it arrived I knew it was not.
I was lucky, after opening an ebay case I eventually had my money returned.  I might not have been so lucky.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 09:33:46 AM »
Hi m,  - would be interested to know how you managed to get a refund?

I took it up with the seller when mine arrived, but as she insisted it was Murano, and I could not prove it otherwise, I did not lodge a claim. It is too late now, but I would love to know on what grounds you succeeded?  Or did they just give in when you opened the case and give the refund voluntarily?  Perhaps I should have tried that!

Jackie

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
I posted it here on the board and someone confirmed it was not Murano and that they had been sold in TK Maxx.  It had a ground unpolished base as well.  I think I linked to this site on the particular thread and gave the other reasons why it was not Murano glass to ebay when I opened the case. I had told the seller and asked for a refund and returned the vase.  The seller refused to contact me once I'd returned it and did not give in.  They just became silent and didn't post any activity at all once I opened the case and refused to contact me.  I sent the evidence to ebay when I opened the case and they refunded my money, presumably getting it back from the buyer.  It did take quite a while, but the vase cost me quite a lot and I didn't want to lose the money.
m

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »
Thanks m.

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) we don't have TKMaxx over here , and my vase is well finished -  with a nicely ground and polished base. As you say - it is easy to tell when handling it - but hard to tell otherwise. Not sure I would have succeeded with a claim.

Thanks anyway.
Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:01:01 AM »
No, I think there were enough indicators on mine for ebay to justify refunding.  Otherwise it is extremely difficult to prove.  TK Maxx do occasionally sell some nice pieces, I've bought a Czech vase there for someone as a pressie, and they have some fantastic designer clothing (well our local one does).  But it's also good to go and see what might end up on ebay in the future. 
m

Offline bygoneboy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 12:21:49 AM »
Hello again,  thank you for your interest and input,

@ Flying Free, the edges are not beveled.

It cost me £2 at a boot sale, shame its not the real thing, I may sell on or place it in the kitchen window where it catches the light nicely.

One more question though maybe it should be in a new thread have any of you heard of a glass designer called Julienne McCartney?

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 07:04:32 AM »
Actually that reminds me, I came across a bit more info about these vases.  They were apparently designed by Julien Macdonald, and sold in Debenhams, see the bottom of this page (which again confirms made in China):

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/your_home_and_garden/shopping_and_design_news/designnewsglass.html

I've no idea how much input these designers have in the actual design, or if they just pick out things to put their name on and let others do the actual designing?  They seem to have a rather wide range of household items and clothing that they "design".

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 04:49:56 AM »
I found another one of these labeled as a modern Rosenthal handmade on German ebay, with box saying its name is "Dewdrop". But I don't doubt the Chinese origin, as it does'n't say 'made in Germany'. Rosenthal probably bought it OEM.

Check the link: http://www.ebay.de/itm/ROSENTHAL-Vase-Florero-Dewdrops-Tautropfen-22-cm-Geschenkverpackung-OVP-neu-/300737537709?pt=De_Haus_Garten_GedeckterTisch_Glaswaren_Geschirr&hash=item46055aa6ad

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
I was in TKMaxx the other week, checking up.

I do exactly the same a couple of times a month - some of the complex and/or time-consuming techniques they're employing in China are getting a bit disconcerting. I've seen incalmo and battuto glass for under £15 (and then later at fairs and on eBay for £100 - £1000). Thankfully it's still a bit clunky and easy to recognise... but I'd probably have struggled had I not handled them myself.

Polishing the bases properly seems to have been gaining popularity over the last year or so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand