No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Often Sold as Murano Seguso Pillow Vase - This is a quiz... :-)  (Read 4356 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Often Sold as Murano Seguso Pillow Vase - This is a quiz... :-)
« on: October 09, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »
I finally got around to pulling this out to take some decent pics. I actually own two of these. One was represented as an Italian piece of glass and both listed and pictured poorly, and I bought it for next to nothing.  There were some things about it that surprised me when I got it.

The other one of these I bought later, is identical to the first, with one exception.... a label attached underfoot....  also an inexpensive purchase.

I have seen these regularly offered as Seguso Pillow vases for years, and they have actually sold for some pretty good sums through the years. And not offered as such on ebay, but in some reasonably reputable brick and mortar houses.

Can anyone take a guess as to the label on the underside of this vase here. This is the only example I have ever seen with the remaining label....

The vase stands at 7 inches tall, 6 inches wide, and 5 inches deep. It is actually executed reasonably well and has weight to it as would be expected with a piece of Murano production. It is a kind of pink or light peach glass with an opalescent looking interior.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Often Sold as Murano Seguso Pillow Vase - This is a quiz... :-)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:42:47 AM »
Well It doesn't look Seguso to me! I will take a punt and say Cenedese to start it off...

And await a no response! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
Kamei - from Osaka Japan?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
a clue...  Made by one company and sold by another, but the label says both   as in "XXXX for XXXX"

Craig

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
Well done Craig, I have wondered about these for some time. Does it have the same base finish as these?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=54421.0?

Didn't Tiffany, as a retailer, have pieces made for them at some time?

I look forward to seeing the mystery label,

Robert

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
The base is ground flat and a little on the matte side, although not completely. Yes, Dale Tiffany has Chinese glass made that he imports and retails.

This is not one of his, and he is of no relation to the glass family.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 01:35:55 AM »
I was told that Dale Tiffany was simply Dale Tiffany Inc. not an actual person just the company's name. If you read company's about us section they use termonology such as "Dale became the first factory worldwide", "Dale insists on the highest standards of quality and workmanship for every one of its products" & " Dale Tiffany has not only captured the timelessness of America's classic designers, but utilizes it's own creative skills". Notice there is no "he" nor "his" in the company bio just "its".

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 03:40:41 AM »
That could very well be Ken. Their glass is generally pretty crappy, so I have never really looked at the company bio. 

Craig

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 05:22:08 AM »
Craig there is a large mall just 20 minutes away & two guys have three contineous booths filled with Dale Tiffany & to their credit they do not remove the made in China labels from their vases & bowls. Also they have the lamps which do sell on a regular basis at their discount prices, but the glass just sits there even though its probably way, way below original retail & I wholeheartedly agree its simply not good glass...you know its not good when the interior decorators (and there are a bunch in Columbus) won't even buy it for decorator purposes.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
I will post the label now, as the name on the label is a designer, indicating who "designed" the piece. It still does not indicate the house that produced it, but it is not Italian in origin for sure. The base on the one I have missing the label, and this labeled example, are both a kind of matte finish, as with some of the slightly nicer Chinese glass. It is not as poorly finished as much of the older Chinese bases were. I can not say for sure that the vase is Chinese, as I can not find any information indicating the origins, or who the company that sold these sourced them from. This label appears on Glass, Ceramics, Dinnerware, etc. All designed by Larry Laslo. The lable on the base reads "Laslo for Mikasa"

So the many Seguso Pillow vases I have seen through the years, although there may have been a piece of Italian glass in there somewhere, have actually been Mikasa vases.

The Seguso pillow vase is larger than this piece, has more defined ribs, and fewer of them. there is a definite similarity, and to the untrained collectors eye, the Mikasa vase is a good look alike.  Looks to me like Larry Laslo mirrored the design. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand