No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Re: Genis Cirera Casanova for future info. Also ref Royo & Gordiola discussions  (Read 1539 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I couldn't find this information anywhere on the board, so I apologise if it is already here.

I have been looking at possible decorators for a Gordiola glass plate I own that is signed Gordiola.  I have also been wondering about the date.

Having read the various discussions on enamellers linked to Gordiola Glass in various ways, I have been trying to investigate Cirera (and Royo ).

I came across this information in this book (see link)

If you click on the  link there is a black and white picture of a Cirera enamelled piece in the book - called the St George cup dated as 1947-1950.
The decoration looks like the decoration seen on various pieces on the board signed Cirera, however I cannot see a signature on the piece in the book to compare.
I do not know where the cup in question was made, and the piece does not give that information.
The dates mentioned for Genis Cirera Casanovas work seem to span 1928 to 1960 as it says he won the Bilbao Decorative Arts prize in 1928, as well as numerous mentions for the 1940's and then into the 1950's including one in Madrid in 1953 and  says his production lasted until 1960.
It mentions that his workshop then continued for longer run by his daughter.

I used Google Translate to translate the information given but have ensured the award names of the places are as they were in the original as Google automatically tries to translate them into something else.

There is information on various decorators/enamellers of glass and Genis Cirera Casanovas is one of those described.

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Miscel_l%C3%A0nia_en_homenatge_a_Joan_Ainaud.html?id=LHiblnYd8sYC&redir_esc=y
Miscellània en homenatge a Joan Ainaud de Lasarte, Volume 2

page 229
Genis Cirera Casanova
' e is the last great artisans dedicated to fire glazed glass. Started this official 11 years. achieved since very young awards in national and international exhibitions including the special prize of decorative arts. Bilbao in 1928, achieved the barcelona 1943,1944,1947,1950, Sabaddel 1949, Vic 1949, Manresa 1949 , Sitges 1950, Lleida 1957. As well as the prize of honor for one drink glass at the International Exhibition held in Madrid in 1953. His works are in numerous collections. It is said that his pieces were unique and destroy as preparatory drawings and if not liked, even the same piece of glass. Its production lasted until 1960 but his workshop continued for much longer run by his daughter and his son, although industrially.'

There is a long list of enamellers of glass in the link.
Unfortunately some of the pages are missing. 
However under where I would expect to find R for Royo, there was no Royo and neither was there any mention of Royo anywhere else in the list as far as I could see although as I said, there were missing pages so names would be missing I would think and Royo might not have appeared as the middle name therefore could be somewhere else in the list as it seemed to be alphabetical based on middle name.

There are some links here to previous older threads -
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23614.msg131966.html#msg131966    -
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,20531.msg117338.html#msg117338    - April 2008 Ivo - confirmation email that Royo decorated Gordiola

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand