No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Trying to identify this art deco piece. ID = Hermanova Hut Glassexport  (Read 531 times)

Offline dendean

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Canada
Hi all, hope this will work... please be gentle - I'm a newbie and this is my first post - if it works.

I have this plate, approx. 7 inches in diameter, and I can't figure out its origins.  The most I've managed to find out is that it's 1930's, European, art deco, pressed glass, very similar to Stolze glass.  Can anyone help provide more information?  I'm trying to post a picture but it says the size is too big... anyone know how to make it a smaller file size?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dendean

• Members
    • Canada
Re: Trying to identify this art deco piece - Trying to attach image
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:28:48 AM »
Trying again to attach a small enough image.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Trying to identify this art deco piece
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
Hi - and welcome.  :)
Your piece was made by Hermanova Hut Glassexport before 1958, no.18806. ("Sklo Union Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass" by Marcus Newhall).
Anne E.B

Offline kimo

• Members
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
Hi.  I like your plate - it has a very attractive design, though I might not agree with calling it art deco as it appears to be more modern.  Anne's great identification would seem to bear this out.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »
It probably is an art deco design because many of the Hermanova Hut and other Sklo Union designs were made pre- and post-war in one Czech factory or another, we just do not have the catalogue details, and this is very typical of such designs so could have been made at almost any time over a 20+ year period.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand