No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blown into wrought iron frame table lamp - ID = Nazeing / Hebden  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
Hi, bought this on a whim - looked interesting and of course there's the glass...........
Decoratively it looks a bit arabesque to me.

The metalwork which is wrought iron has been painted fairly recently - probably to cover up the rust.

If you shine a light on the glass a whiteish film appears - this also happens on the inside surface.
Haven't been able to test it in the sunshine as we ain't got any.
Not sure whether it's because the glass is slightly opalescent ?
I have cleaned the glass so I'm pretty sure it's not a film of dirt.

At a guess I'd say it's from the 50s,60s- I'm going by the bulb holder.

It's about 40cm ( 16in ) high and weighs just under 2.0 kg

I won't be holding my breath for a definitive I'd   ;D - however any info would be greatly appreciated

Scott

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Blown into wrought iron frame table lamp - any info please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 08:46:47 AM »
it has the general appearance of being one of the patterns from the Nazeing Lanterns range, which were produced in two periods  -  first the 1930s and subsequently in the 1950s, although regret I don't know enough about them to be sure                  .........   whether the wires are right or the colour for that matter, but then I expect this style of lamp may have been produced by other factories for sure.

Could be very wrong, but I would also suggest that it didn't start out life as a standing lamp..............    virtually all of these lanterns were meant to be in a hanging position - in this case from the three curled wires on which the piece now stands, and you may in fact even be missing a top part to the lantern.     But my thoughts are that originally it would have been the other way up, and the bayonet bulb fitment I don't think was originally in that position, being hidden inside the top of the lantern.

Hopefully others will have a better idea. :)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply- funny you should mention Nazeing but I'm sure I had ( can't find it now- could have taken it back to the charity shop ) one of their Tricorn Bowls in a similar sort of colour.

It might well have started off as a lantern and converted later;yes I can see that.

The only Nazeing lantern I've been able to find online is yours ( GMB search )  :)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45834.msg256556.html#msg256556

Scott

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Judging by Nigel's comments, to me in your link   ....   "a number of other manufacturers made these, including from the Continent" - then there does seem to be a difficulty with a positive attribution, unless a match can be made with a Nazeing catalogue item.

Looking at the 1930s Nazeing designs, from their catalogue of that decade   ............   ref. Nos. H1 to H7, this one doesn't appear to be a match for any of those, although one of the factory colours was something called 'Natural Mulberry, which is possibly what your colour is........at least that's what I remember the colour of Mulberry fruit to look like.         According to Geoffrey Timberlake's book, the post war availability of colours for Nazeing's lanterns did NOT include Mulberry -  the only colours offered were crystal, peach and golden amber.
Apparently in the second period, shapes were changed but the names of the designs, in many cases, remained the same.

My opinion is that this could be anywhere from mid 1930s to late 1950s, but is probably not a Nazeing design  -  BUT, as you can see from my toing and froing in 2012, it's not always that cut and dried. :)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »

Hi Paul,
Thank you so much for all the info you've provided - I'm really appreciative.
Yes, its colour could be likened to mulberry fruit - I'm afraid the nearest I've been able to find is 'Pom'
pomegranate juice !
Anyway I'll keep searching- perseverance obviously does pay off sometimes ( 2012 )  :)

Scott

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
It's always worth dropping an email to the Nazeing Glass Museum and asking if they recognise it... nothing lost by asking. :)
http://www.nazeing-glass.com/museum/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:24:58 AM »

Hi, Anne
I was toying with the idea of sending them them an email - but,yes I will - as you say there's no harm
in trying.
And you never know ...............
Thanks  :)

Scott

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 12:05:20 AM »
Let us know what they say, Scott. Stephen Pollock-Hill who owns the glassworks is a member of the GMB so he knows us well here.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »

Hi, I did eventually contact Nazeing Glass - and very glad that I did  :)

Here's Stephen Pollock- Hill's reply :-

" I can confirm that lamp was definitely blown at Nazeing Glass works circa 1958 to 1969 when we worked with and for G A Hebden of Hoddesdon wire producers. We have one just like it in the Museum
in ruby..........I was in touch recently with George Hebden's son who told me that his father invented a machine to make wire with a square profile rather than round or flat so any wire frame lamp with that must be his.
We were the only glass maker of lamps to him and we have photos, and I can remember them being made "

So glad I bought it  :)

Scott

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 02:11:38 PM »
well done Scott - good to have a positive result and shows that perseverance does sometimes pay off :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand