Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

US armed forces in India, 1930–47

(1/2) > >>

Bernard C:
What was the permanent presence of US armed forces in the old, pre-partition India (now India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh)?   One presumes that it was stepped up during the war to provide refuelling, repair, and accomodation facilities for the US navy.

You may think this is a strange question, but I have just acquired an example of the US version of Lillicrap's Hone from a seller who bought it in India.   Logic says that it shouldn't have been there, as the standard, rest-of-the-world version has an Indian patent number on it.

So, how did it get there?

Obviously one possibility is that Wood Bros made up an Indian order with what they had available, and on that particular day only had US versions available.

Another possibility is that it escaped from the US armed forces.

Have I missed any other obvious possibilities?

Bernard C.  8)

Paul ADK:
The U.S. Army flew supplies "over the hump" into China from bases in India and provided air cover for Wingate and U.S. Army forces fighting in Burma and Indochina.  U.S. forces based in India also participated in ground fighting to keep the Burma Road open. (See the history of Merrill's Marauders, aka 5307 Composite Unit <Provisional>)

Sklounion:
Hi Bernard,
I have Major-General Ian Lyall Grant's  account of the Tiddim Road battles ("Burma: The Turning Point"), to hand, so I will go through it again, and see what may be pertinent to your enquiry. Give me a few days, please.
That was quick, but there is not sufficient detail in Lyall Grant, as he avoids for the most part, reference to General Stilwell's Sino-American force which operated in Northern Burma. Covers all of three paragraphs. Sorry, I thought it may have helped, but not so.
Regards,
Marcus

Frank:
Lots of commercial travellers and diplomats went to India in that period, tourists too. Could have been left behind by anyone.

Bernard C:
Paul, Marcus & Frank — Grateful thanks for your time and information.

It is obvious that the U.S. presence in India was huge at various times during the 1930–47 period.

I think, perhaps, that I should not have been surprised at this Lillicrap's hone straying from its intended home;  indeed I should almost have expected it!

I would like here to put on record my sincere gratitude to the eBay seller ponypainter for her response to my query, which was intended to establish whether the hone could have been originally retailed in Canada!

Bernard C.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version