No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cat and Roz diamond/pineapple vase  (Read 5530 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Cat and Roz diamond/pineapple vase
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 12:09:17 PM »
Which was whi I recommended holding off posting until we know what actually happened and what can be done, if there is a backup I doubt it will be complete to the point the host messed up but it should fill in some gaps.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »
The webhost should be running a cron job back-up every night. You should not lose 2-3 days of posts if the problem is identified early and the back-up version is asked for.

Of course if only 1 person has admin authority and that person is MIA, then you are SOL until they return  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 01:43:16 PM »
I too have one of these diamond vases. It's mould-blown in grass-green uranium glass with a large ground and polished pontil. 15 cm tall and weighs 440 g

Offline Roz

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 02:03:41 PM »
Hi Christine,
Cat's photographs are better than mine in that they show the base of the vase. The diamond pattern starts on the base, and spirals round the main body, narrows at the neck and then flares out again to the rim. Each line of diamonds is complete from the centre of the base right up to the rim. That's why I'm intrigued to know how it was made. It's fairly obviously mould blown, but was it removed from the mould while still workable to produce the narrowed neck? There are no "seam" marks in the pattern, although I know they can be polished out. How has the glass blower held it to produce the narrowed neck and flared rim? There is no pontil mark and no obvious "gadget" marks.
I'm still learning about glass, and the whole process of glass blowing and moulding just fascinates me.
I'd also like to know where the vase was made and roughly how old it is.

Roz

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »
Could this have been in a thread that was bumped up but then debumped by the 'dark-side' glitch ...
I don't think so. I hunted back for this thread (it was only 2 days old at the time, I think) and was unable to find any trace.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Roz

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »
The thread was started by Cat, so the date of her photographs on the Gallery will show when the thread was started, won't it?

Roz

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 02:18:15 PM »
Because mine definitely contains uranium, I would date it to about the 1930s. It does appear to have one, and only one, seam line. It may be that the one on the other side is better disguised. Judging but the way the diamonds at the top lose definition and go a bit squiffy, I would the vase was blown into a straight-necked mould and then worked by hand to create the flared top.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 02:19:28 PM »
Yes, it would. Sometimes my brain doesn't operate on such subtleties...

Date stamped: Mar 02, 2007

So the thread must have been started on or after this date. No time unless Anne can help, but it assumes Cat posted it straight away (where is she BTW?)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 11:03:20 AM »
Ummm...........I'm here!  I work weekends and have just resurfaced.  It looks as though you've been having "fun" while I've been working.

I usually post a topic within half an hour of uploading photographs.

Marcus - I think you were trying to show an example of the diamond vases in the reference to D555?  So obviously not the same animal as mine and Roz's.

Roz - yours is a little smaller at 5.5" v's 6" - did you post a reply to the question I asked about how the rim of yours is finished? (before the thread disappeared)

Amber Vase :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0883.jpg

Detail of rim :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0884.jpg

Detail of bottom :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0886.jpg

Maybe we could just carry on here.......

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Roz

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 10:25:10 PM »
Hi Cat,
My vase has exactly the same finish to the rim: smoothed but not actually ground very smooth. It's the same height as yours : 15.5 cms or a tad over 6 inches. The base is also the same as yours. I imagine the two vases will weigh the same as well.
I think we are looking at decent quality, individually made vases, but made in some bulk. I was intending to sell mine, but I've grown rather fond of it now even though it's completely the wrong colour and not at all my usual taste!
Before the thread got lost in the ether, I think someone suggested they are of Czech origin, using old moulds from some 50 or so years ago, and I rather suspect that's about right. When I'm buying beads and I just want basic good quality ones, I go for Czech fire polished beads. This vase has the same sort of feel to it: good decent quality with no frills.
Or does one of the more experienced glass boarders know better? .........

Roz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand