No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Allan Scott 'Deacons' Dahlia paperweight?  (Read 11385 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Dahlia
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 02:18:20 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
[Will be emailing pics to you Allan, and many thanks again for your help.

Leni

Sorry Allan, but I seem to be having email problems again!  (Well, it appears BT are having the problems, I am just suffering as a result of them!   :evil: )

So, with apologies to anyone who may not be interested, I am posting the pics you asked to see here instead   :roll:

http://tinypic.com/27zukk  http://tinypic.com/27zuo7  http://tinypic.com/27zup4  http://tinypic.com/27zuq8

Hope this helps.  And many thanks again  :D

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Allan Scott 'Deacons' Dahlia paperweight?
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 11:41:38 PM »
Maybe Allan can confirm, but I think that the light blue cane in the centre of the base may be a very distorted "J" cane. If that's true, then it could explain why the base is unfinished - the weight could actually have been regarded as "not successful" (even though it's superb from the normal viewpoint).
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 09:25:28 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Maybe Allan can confirm, but I think that the light blue cane in the centre of the base may be a very distorted "J" cane. If that's true, then it could explain why the base is unfinished - the weight could actually have been regarded as "not successful" (even though it's superb from the normal viewpoint).

It's not a distorted cane in the base, Kev it's the reflection of the central cane of the Dahlia in the snapped off pontil mark.  Sorry, but it's very difficult to photograph because of the 'unfinished'ness of the base!  :roll:

I think you may be right about the 'not successful' point though.  I hope Allan can put us right on this  :?
And yes, it is indeed truly superb in spite of the base!   :shock:

Leni
Leni

ALLAN

Dahlia
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 07:26:31 PM »
Hi Leni & Kev,
                   The un-cut base certainly explains why there is no "J" cane in the weight,as to the reason why it was never completed ,there could be several explanations; 1) There might of been a defect obvious at the time of making which made us decide not to finish it as normal,2) The weight could in fact be perfectly good and was made as a master sample before we decided to progress with the edition,3) There is also the distinct possibility that we made the weight before checking that we had any "J" canes ready to go in the base,(blame the local pub for forcing John and I to partake of their fine beverages at lunchtimes  :lol: ).Any of these are perfectly reasonable explanations but what puzzles me is how it came to be on the market unfinished.Maybe you can let me know how you came across it.I know a lot of weights were sold by the liquidators when J.Glass went bust in 1983 but I do not remember what was sold off as I was at Caithness Glass by the time of the sale.The only other possibility is that it might of,how would you say,"walked "out of the workshop secretly when we were not looking.It did happen quite often as our cowshed doors were always open for people to wander in and see us working.Whatever the reason for its existence,it is still a great weight and I am glad its found a good home.
                Allan  8)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 08:41:56 PM »
Allan, thank you so much again for taking the time to reply in this thread.  

I have to say I also am puzzled as to how the weight 'escaped' unfinished!   :? From my examination of it I would say it does not have any defect, unless your standards were *very* much higher than mine!   :shock: I rather like the idea of blaming the local pub!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

As to how I came across it, I bought it a couple of weeks ago on eBay!  It was advertised as 'Possibly John Deacons 'Dahlia on Clear''.  I was stunned (and very pleased) to be the only bidder, therefore getting it at a bargain price!    :D

It certainly is a great paperweight and I treasure it!  I fully intend it to remain in my possession and to pass to my children or grandchildren, so if it ever goes back on the market it will not (hopefully) be for a long time, if at all.  Personally, I would like to bequeath it to one of my new baby grand-daughters, in the hope that when she grows up she will love it as much as I do, and keep it for her children to enjoy.  :D  :oops:  :roll:  :D

Many thanks again for all your help  :D

Leni
Leni

ALLAN

Dahlia
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 09:26:08 PM »
HI Leni,
           I am glad you love the weight so much,You  have no idea how much it means to us poor glassmakers to know that someone out there appreciates our work.As long as the the base of your weight does not have any sharp edges I would not recommend that you get it finished as this,(In my opinion),would detract from its mystery and would just look like it was a mistake from the beginning.It is scary to think I made that flower over 20yrs ago,never mind time flies as they say, lol.You will have to look out for more of my weights in the future, especially about the time of the Scottish Glass Society exhibitions,when I get the chance to make "one-offs"for myself.(might not be as cheap as your Dahlia though,Ha-Ha!).Anyway I hope you carry on collecting paperweights happily for many years to come,whether they are mine or not.I will always be happy to talk to anybody about paperweights at any time,that goes for anyone reading this by the way.....Happy collecting.....Allan

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Dahlia
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 09:45:09 PM »
Quote from: "ALLAN"
You will have to look out for more of my weights in the future, especially about the time of the Scottish Glass Society exhibitions,when I get the chance to make "one-offs"for myself

Allan, it would be really great if you could post a message here telling us when that is coming up!   :D

I know many of us here would love to know and to be able to keep our eyes open for more of your weights!   :shock:

Thank you very much again for all your help!

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
Scottish Glass Society News

2005 SGS Exhibition

The 2005 exhibition will be 2nd - 24th July at Strathearn Gallery in Crief. This exhibition will be open to SGS members only, but will be selected. Details will be in the May Newsletter. Keep checking this space!!

Website http://www.scottishglasssociety.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand