No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info on a pink paperweight... ID = Perthshire Paperweights PP1 (pics gone)  (Read 14561 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Here's my pink paperweight.  I know it's nothing fantastic, but can anyone give me a little more info?  I must be honest and say I'll be selling it on ebay soon, as it's not really my cup of tea!  I don't know where to start with describing it though!

Thank you. :D

http://tinypic.com/22zsew

http://tinypic.com/22zsih
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Info on a pink paperweight...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 10:15:11 AM »
I think Perthshire, as I said last night   :wink:

No doubt Kevin will put me right though.  I think there's something about the rows of canes - the pattern can be one, one, two, two, like yours or one, two, two like mine and I'm not sure of the significance with regard to ID, dating, etc.

I still think a good description of the colour is 'surgical appliance pink'  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Leni  xx
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 10:25:08 AM »
Yes....Perthshire or Deacon 80/90's era....too crisp for the Ysart family...
.. Hopefully very shortly someone will supply you wiyh the PP number

Regards

Gareth

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 10:41:23 AM »
I think there's something about the rows of canes - the pattern can be one, one, two, two, like yours or one, two, two like mine

Is the way the canes are distributed a means of identification then?  Do different companies stick to certain ratios?  

<scratches her chin with interest>

(Surgical appliance pink...ROFL!)

xx
I am not a man

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 12:04:51 PM »
yep leni 1 1 2 2 and i think pp5 or pp6 kev will know for sure
cheers Ray

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »
The logic both with Strathearn and PP confounds me, here are two examples from 1988 and 1995 of Perthshire PP5

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 04:30:59 PM »
Hi folks,

> ... kev will know for sure
Really? I wouldn't go as far as that.  :!:

But I will try to answer all the points raised with a bit of analysis:

Yes, the clear, crisp setting of the weight marks it as likely Perthshire Paperweights rather than Vasart or Strathearn - but there are some very nice Vasart and Strathearns of a similar pattern that hold their own in the quality stakes.

Yes, the way canes are distributed makes a difference, but not such that we can definitely rule out one or other makers. And within maker, it's quite confusing too!

Anyway, the thing I note first is the crispness and "cogginess" of all of the canes. When I see this, I start looking in the books for Perthshire Paperweights to see if there is a matching pattern, and yes there is. It could be one of: PP1, PP2, PP5 or PP6 (and in each of those there are variations in the patterning).

The fact that there is no central "P" cane (according to my eyes) helps to sort this out, as does the base finish, which is often an important factor in paperweight id. Another factor we need to know is the size (diameter).

There are two PP6 patterns and one is the same as PP1. But PP6 was made from 1972 and had a central "p" cane as well as a hollow ground base. No "p" and a fire polished base says it's not PP6.

PP5 is confusing because there were various designs within that designation. As with PP6 one pattern is similar to PP1 but as with PP6, the base finish counts this one out.

What about PP2 or PP1? The basic difference between these is the size. PP1 is "large" (3 inch) and PP2 is "medium" (2 1/2 inch). For both of these designs, before 1978 there was no "p" cane and the base was fire polished. If it was from 1978 or later it would have the "p" cane and hollow ground base. From 1982 there was a visually different pattern for PP1 and the one we are considering is not one of those.

So, if its 3 inch it's a PP1 made from 1969 to 1977. If it's 2 1/2 inch, it's PP2 also from 1969 to 1977. These were regular production weights rather than limited or annual edition pieces.

I did not focus on the number of twist canes as this is one of the confusing points. It seems that most of the PP1 / PP2 patterns before 1982 had either 13 or 14 twists canes forming the spokes. But weights with greater or fewer numbers of spokes also exist. Max's weight has 12 spokes and I have one with 15. I will also say that my weight is 2 7/8 inch diameter, so it's probably a case of nearest size when considering "medium" or "large".

I hope I've got that right ... there's nothing easy in this game.  :)
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 04:50:10 PM »
Snap  :lol:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 05:19:28 PM »
Thansk for all that info Kev!   :D

I'm really pleased I got Pershire right, anyway   :lol:

My 'early Pershire' weight (at least that's what I was told) is very like Max's but in greeny colours (not 'that' pink!) It's 2 & a half inches, has a fire polished base, no P cane, 1,2,2, pattern and eleven 'spokes'!  Which type does that make mine?  

What would we do without Kev's brain to pick?  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 05:20:17 PM »
Dear KevH

I read your posting with the air of a child seeing algebra for the first time.  My synapses are still jangling!   :shock:

I'll simply have to get a couple of books, and try and sort this out. I have no idea what PP1, PP2 or any of those other PP numbers mean.  All I can firmly say is that this paperweight is 2.78" diameter, so I'm not quite sure where that leaves me!

Thank you for your posting, I can see you went to a great deal of trouble for me, unfortunately I simply don't have the paperweight wherewithal to understand it very well!  .....but I will one day.  x
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand