No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweights With Names In  (Read 3807 times)

Offline daveweight

• Members
Paperweights With Names In
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:26:32 PM »
I have seen several paperweights with names in and I have been reliably informed that these are "Friggers" or one of a kind weights made by someone in the Pilkington Glass Factory between the mid 1960's and the early 1980's. They are all virtually indentical in background and layout so whoever made them just used one design.

I have also seen them with a name and place, usually somewhere in Southern England, but as they are unsigned and umarked they have been attributed to various makers and the current one "Polly" on ebay is shown as being Bohemian.

Here is an example

http://i13.tinypic.com/2vjshuv.jpg

Mod: large image converted to link

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Paperweights With Names In
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »
Polly - a very Bohemian name - I don't think. This is speculation but, it is entirely possible that they were actually made at the St Helens glass museum, which was on Pilkington's main site in the town, to order but as a public demo.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »
I have a couple of photos of a crate containing a dozen or so of these weights. The ones with names are mostly English names. The grounds and decoration are all very similar. The owner told me that these were made in England by immigrant workers using their known Czech / Bohemian techniques and style.

St Helens / Pilkington?
Very likely.
But the management would not admit it - so I am told!
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »
Dave, can you re-attach the picture of your weight please. I picked up this "LINDA" weight today barely five miles from Pilkington's in St Helens.

See also here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24320.0.html

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »
also available in upright, non-english and non-bohemian version.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
More paperweights with the same characteristics as my Linda weight. These were apparently from a house clearance near Wigan, not so far from St Helens and Pilkington's. All except one have a snapped pontil mark. Linda and the yellow butterfly have ground bases. There were three virtually identical controlled bubble weights, but I don't think they are Chinese. The bubbles form a fair spiral and the glass has the same yellowish tinge as the other weights. They are rather naive but interesting.

The other weights that apparently came from the same chap were modern Chinese, a modern one that might have been from St Helens glass museum (badly damaged) and a limited edition Selkirk Ebony (that moved in too   ;D ).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand