No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: dancing girl/ballerina and orange carnival glass HELP!?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline squirrel_tooth_anni

• Members
  • Still learning ty for being so patient with me.
dancing girl/ballerina and orange carnival glass HELP!?
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:09 PM »
I have the vaseline/vasaline glass Dancing girl or Balarina pattern... lt green.  How do you tell the repro from the orig?

Where can I find what was REALLY made between 1930-34?

Carnival glass... orange I don't think it's pink.  Powder jar with lid deeply ribbed vert lines and the lid has a large stand out rose with rose leaves all around it.   Carnival glass?  Orange and looks like it.  Was my grandmothers or great grand mothers.  I remember it on the dressing table when I was 5 yrs old.  Grandmother passed last year at age 81.  Another item about the leingth of your hand from heel to fingertip. About 3 inches wide and 2 ish inches deep.  Scalloped edges with four feet.  Long thin almost vine like stems with thin leaves that have a line thru the middle of each.  Some sort of small flower.  All of this is raised all around including the bottom and is the orange iridec. color.  The feet have deep lines cut into the sides about 12 lines cut in each.
Water off a duck's back baby, life's WAYY to short.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: dancing girl/balarina and orange carnival glass HELP!?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:49:42 AM »
Hi Welcome to the board. I think we need pictures and a few more details (like who and where for the ballerina for example) before we can help. You would also be better off on the general glass board with two different threads...moderator please.

See the sticky here for help on posting pictures

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 08:15:28 AM »
Hi Squirrel, welcome to the Glass Message Board!  I've emailed you about your photographs.  :)
I am not a man

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:47:03 AM »
Hello Squirrel,

I have the vaseline/vasaline glass Dancing girl or Balarina pattern... lt green.  How do you tell the repro from the orig?

If you mean the Jobling Ballerina, this may be of interest: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8391.15.html

This may be impossible as many patterns from that period were in production for some time. Also, why the 1934 cut off date? many of the most exciting pieces of pre war glass were introduced after 1934. As a starting pont I would recommend Pamela's excellent site www.pressglas-pavillon.de & Siegmar Geiselberger's www.pressglas-korrespondenz. Also I have some of my collection recorded for reference here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10036

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:35:51 AM »
I wonder if your powder jar is like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140103310522

I suspect it is 60s or 70s piece - maybe Jeanette - but I can't confirm the maker. Connie might be able to help more.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Connie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:28:13 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words  ;)

We could guess all week what she means  ;D

But my guess is that she is referring to an American Depression Glass pattern by Hocking Glass better known as Cameo aka Ballerina aka Dancing Girl.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »
First... ty for the welcome!  ;D
Second... sorry for not posting in correct area and ty for understanding I'm new.

Last... YEAH! TYTYTY for the powder jar you are right that is the one!

Connie... you are right... I do have pics and need to learn how to add.  My hubby and I do childcare during the wk and work close to 73 hrs per week. So... not much time to learn at any given time. I'll work on that.
But yes it is the Cameo, Balarina... Dancing girl. Uranium was added to the glass.  That pattern was in that time frame.  Vaseline glass was stopped by WW2 but started again later. I found a book that helps some.  I just would like to know what book or site to go to for the list dating 1930-34. 
Trying to add pic hope it takes.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 08:35:53 PM »
Hello Squirrel,

If you mean the Jobling Ballerina, this may be of interest: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8391.15.html

This may be impossible as many patterns from that period were in production for some time. Also, why the 1934 cut off date? many of the most exciting pieces of pre war glass were introduced after 1934. As a starting pont I would recommend Pamela's excellent site www.pressglas-pavillon.de & Siegmar Geiselberger's www.pressglas-korrespondenz. Also I have some of my collection recorded for reference here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10036

The book I found Depression Glass by Gene Florence third edition said that this pattern (Cameo, "Ballerina" or Dancing Girl"), known by all names, was along with Cherry Blossom, Mayfair, Miss America and Sharon were the top five most collected pattern in the Depression Glass.  I only just found out that when put under a blk light it glows a Neon Yellow/Green! lol Very cool I thought after having the plate for 2 years before finding this out.
This Pattern was made in Green, Yellow, Crystal and Pink. Crystal didn't have many listings and Yellow in some areas were more expensive than some Green.
I'm just trying to find a more updated listing of what is out there and what are reproductions and how do you know?  I havn't found any company stampings or dates on plate or relish dish.

Connie

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 09:20:54 PM »
Hi Squirrel -

Here is a page about Depression Glass Reproductions.  Look under "Cameo" which is the official name of this pattern.

http://www.glassshow.com/arepro.html

Without a picture it is hard to be definitive, but if the green glass glows under UV light then it is most likely to be original.  The reproduction green is not the same shade, the pattern is less distinct and I am fairly certain that it doesn't contain uranium so therefore should not glow under UV light.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 09:45:23 PM »
Hey ty v much!

I have a picture of it but I don't know how to put it in here as a link.  I posted under glass questions. There is a pic under that topic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand