No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Bubble Glass Bowl with Folded in rim - for ID  (Read 1338 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Blue Bubble Glass Bowl with Folded in rim - for ID
« on: April 05, 2007, 05:19:25 PM »
Just curious about the way this piece is finished.  The rim is folded over and into the bowl.  Is this a feature of any glass maker in particular?  I wondered if it might be for strength - as with the folded foot on old stemwares - or maybe a cheaper way of finishing the item.

Bowl is 8.25" dia x 2.25" high.  Sharp partial remain of pontil (partly ground but not polished), very deeply concave base.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN1022.jpg

Detail of rim :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN1028.jpg

The concave base reminded me of the bowl in the recent Verrerie catalogue thread.  The glass may well be recycled, although I did read the Hogland thread about the potato so I'm not assuming that inclusions mean definitely recycled.

Thanks for looking
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Blue Bubble Glass Bowl with Folded in rim - for ID
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:31:21 PM »
I think several factories and artists use / have used this style of folded rim - Michael Bang and Jesper Sødring are two that spring to mind (not that I'm saying the bowl is by either of them!).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Blue Bubble Glass Bowl with Folded in rim - for ID
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:25:44 AM »
Hi Nic,

I've found a few more examples since I posted this.  One on ebay which has a lot of points in common - the concave base and partial pontil, plus inclusions in the glass : 160101858940.

Also found a divine Italian piece (220079302874), and most suprised by this one which has a Whitefriars 9090 attribution (270105603992).

I wouldn't think this is interesting enough, or of sufficient quality, to be Michael Bang or Jesper Sødring, but it might help other GMBers searching for "folded rim" in the future.

Happy Easter
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand