No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Vaseline CUT & trailed bowl!  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Victorian Vaseline CUT & trailed bowl!
« on: May 13, 2007, 05:56:48 PM »
We had a wonderful day at Gaydon! ;D We met lots of lovely GMB people {{{hugs}}} and bought some super glass! :D

This bowl was so unusual that it just had to come home with me! http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Trailed___cut_bowl.jpg
It is the first time I have seen a Victorian vaseline bowl with not only 'water lily' trails, but cutting! :o

This is the base, which shows the very pretty cut pattern. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Trailed___cut_bowl_base.jpg
IMO it's so nicely done that it's very tasteful and not in the least OTT, which you might think it could be, having 'a bit of everything' as it does :D 

Oh, and I also found another 'Audrey', this time in pink, to keep her 'sister' company! (The one who started my Victorian vaseline collection, and whose picture I wear on my GMB badge.)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Pink_thorn_flower.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Green%20thorn%20flower.jpg

I've given up asking who made these.  Now I have my 'Gulliver' I know that it's acceptable to say they're 'probaby English' and 'possibly Stourbridge' and that 'It's impossible to know' is a reasonable answer!  (Bernard, you'd be proud of me! ;) )
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Victorian Vaseline CUT & trailed bowl!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:06:57 PM »
Love the bowl. Wish I'd been there  :(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »
that cut bowl is Sweet!!!  Yup, I wish I could have been there too!  Every mother's day, I think about the GLASS FAIRE and how I wish I could go back!  I have no clue who made it, but I would not have passed it up.  I would have said "sold" before looking at that price on that piece! 

regards
Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:13:04 AM »
I've given up asking who made these.  Now I have my 'Gulliver' I know that it's acceptable to say they're 'probaby English' and 'possibly Stourbridge' and that 'It's impossible to know' is a reasonable answer!
Um. :-[ ::) Having said this, I then looked through my Gulliver, and in the chapter on Registered Designs (page 283 for those of you who have a copy) I found this:
Registered Design number 435959 - July 1, 1904 (Design of a mold blown decorative motif) looks very like the design on my bowl ???  Can I therefore say that IMO the bowl could be Walsh? :D :-\     

Moderator:  Copyright image removed from GlassGallery as per terms of use
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »
Sorry about that! :-[  I thought I was allowed to use the image, as it is in the Public Records Office at Kew.  Would it be OK if I drew a copy of the image myself, since presumably that's what Gulliver did?  :-\

Here's my sketch of the design John Walsh Walsh registered on July 1st 1904, which looks to me to be identical to my bowl. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7026
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 04:54:25 PM »
Yes, copies you create by drawing are fine Leni. The copyright of those belongs to you as the creator. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 08:07:17 PM »
As long as you don't trace it  >:D if the original is crown copyright it might be tricky but if it was from an company pattern book it has been out of copyright after 25 years. So trace away.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 08:22:44 PM »
I re-read my Gulliver and, as I understand it, he says that he went to the Public Records Office at Kew and traced all the registered designs he shows in chapter 5, and copied out all the descriptions! :o  Whew!  ::)
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand