No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thorn vase 5 piece set  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Thorn vase 5 piece set
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
I just acquired a five piece thorn vase set, in clear glass this time, NOT Vaseline, which is a real change for me.  But I couldn't resist these because they have the (nearly all surviving) hooks at the sides by which they would have been joined by chains. 

And that's my query.  What would the chains have been made of?  As far as I can recall I've only ever seen drawings - Gulliver shows both Stuart and John Walsh Walsh registered designs for this sort of group joined by  chains, but it's not clear if they are made of glass links or metal.  Does anyone know what they would have been?  Are there any photos of surviving set with their chains, or does anyone own any, or perhaps know of any museum examples?   

Thanks.
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Thorn vase 5 piece set
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:35:32 PM »
Great find, Leni. Not too many complete (or partial) sets around, I guess.

The only reference I can think of that proves the use of glass chains is for a centre piece decorated with chains rather than with chains linking other sections. It's shown on page 160 of Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments by Barbara Morris, published by Barrie & Jenkins 1978, ISBN 0 214 20551 7.

The illustration shows a page from a catalogue by Silber & Fleming for 1889 depicting a variety of Flower Troughs etc. The one with the chains has a rectangular trough with flat sides sloping inwards to its base and this is supported by four separate glass "poles" each leaning in towards the centre, but not actually touching, at the top. This is all set on a rectangular plinth base and the chains are hung from the top of the poles and then draped with loops to the edges of the trough. The full item is some 10.5 inch high and the trough is 9 inch in length. The catalogue wording for the item states, "Jardiniere, oblong ... supported by crystal glass bars, ornamenetd with glass chains ...".

Based on an approximate measurement of the features, I estimate that the glass chains are slightly under 1/2 inch (about 12 mm) at the widest point.

I can find no references (so far) that confirm the use of glass chains for linking the "rustic" pieces such as yours, but I see no reason why they should not have been glass.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:00:17 AM »
I have had lighting with glass chains. No pics though. Something might show up in a lighting catalogue but not possible to go through them now.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:43:10 AM »
Thanks Kev and Frank  :-*

So are we of the opinion that the linking chains shown in the Stuart and Walsh Walsh registered designs are more likely to have been glass?  I wonder if any survived - even in pieces!  :huh:

Presumably they are lamp-worked links, so it might be possible to get some replacements made ........   
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:51:09 AM »
They come as either plain made from round rod or fancy made from twisted square rod. Only ever had clear but colours could have easily been made. Any lampworker should be able to make some for you.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
Leni — In my opinion more likely Walsh Maypole, Rd No 484799 of August 11, 1906, illustrated PG October 1906, rather than the Stuart version.   You have enough hooks, as these novelty centrepieces were capable of flexible configuration to suit the client's wishes.   Your set, with four links, could have been configured maypole fashion for a round table, or in a line for a long table.

Now, the links.   Both registration drawings show what appear to be glass? chains (I've not seen the PG reference).   However Walsh certainly had a policy of continual improvement, and wouldn't have let a design registration stop them making modifications.   For instance, do you recall my 323288 epergne with metal vase rings rather than the glass rings shown and described in the registration particulars?   Reynolds 2001 illustrates an example in his collection with just two vases and one link, and says:-

... A modification, described in Pottery Gazette 1907, describes how the trails between the centre maypole and the outside posts were produced as coloured "ribbons".   These ribbons appeared as coloured twist strands with a similarity to canes used in paperweights.

The link is a coloured twist rod, slightly curved to hang naturally, with a silver (or EPNS?) cap and loop on each end.   It looks to me more like a double coloured twist wineglass stem with an inner white gauze and an outer double strand of green, rather than a paperweight cane.    The total length of the link, including rings, is almost exactly twice the height of a satellite vase.

I believe there were three ex-Stuart glassmakers at the Ruskin Centre, Stourbridge making coloured twist stems, and they may still be there.   You could check this with Broadfield House Glass Museum if you wanted to get links made.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »
I have seen glass chain for sale somewhere, only 2 'likely' possibilities I can think of are Christopher Wray, lamp accessory shop, in Fulham or in one of the galleries on Portobello Road. CW would probably sell other things that could serve a similar purpose like glass bead ropes etc.

Here is a picture of some from an article on Spanish Glass courtesy The Glass Study.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 12:49:37 PM »
Thank you VERY much for that information, Bernard!  :hiclp: And thank you too, Frank, for the pic and contact details  :-*
Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:54:48 PM »
Leni — For glass chain you could also try the chandelier spares shop, junction of West Walls and West Street, Wareham, Dorset.   Wareham Tourist Information will be able to give you the proper name and address.

However, I don't think Walsh made the improved version for no reason.   I can't see those vases supporting the sideways pull of a chain, but a curved stiff rod with fixed loops would only create a downwards force.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 02:41:17 PM »
I did wonder about the weight / stability of glass chains, Bernard!  I definitely agree with you that that the curved rod would seem a better design!

Thank you  :-*
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand