No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Older English Vase  (Read 891 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Older English Vase
« on: October 30, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »
I’ve been meaning to post this for awhile & I keep forgetting. I’ve had this vase for close to 15 years. It’s 12 ½ ”, glass is ¼” thick, heavy, rings like a bell when tapped, fire brick red with some black  marbling here & there. It does not resemble Bristol, this is perhaps a bit earlier. Only reason I’m asking is that I sold an item off eBay in 2002 to the British Museum  (it was not glass) & one of their U.S. representatives  picked it up. He spotted this & asked if I was selling it & I declined. He didn’t say much after I declined (a couple of times) but offered that  he was certain it was English & had some age. Obviously it was made during a period where quality control was non-existant…notice the lopsided top. Years ago I did take it to the fine arts department of our local state university & after examination they believed the painting style was consistant with European styles of the 1830’s to 1850’s & the enamel was original (it shows some wear). I’ve kept it simply because it’s different in color & have always been puzzled by the ring as if it has a high flint content. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Older English Vase
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »
I doubt it is English going by shape. Style is Etruscan and that was popular from 1847-1851, see plate 13 p 136 in Hajdamach, British Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:18:42 PM »
Thanks Frank, unfortunately I do not have that reference so I not certain I understand. Etruscan usually is associated with Italy so is this simply an Italian piece that is not considered Murano type? Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:46:09 PM »
Frank merely means the shape is one associated with Etruscan period vases (c 500 BC) and much copied through the ages, particularly mid 19th century in England and elsewhere. I would hazard a guess at Bohemia, they seemed to delight in unusual colours of glass and beautiful enamelling. Age-wise it could be anything up to 1940, as many of these designs continued for a long time

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand