No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WMF uranium glass help needed  (Read 1438 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
WMF uranium glass help needed
« on: November 16, 2007, 01:28:32 AM »
I just got this piece in the mail today.
it still has the original WMF paper tag on the top rim (see inset photo).
The vase was taken under three lighting sources:
left: room lighting only with no flash
center:  room lighting, plus UV light
right: UV light only, no room light.

the little POOCH gives an idea of how big this vase is.  The vase is very heavy.  polished pontil on the bottom.  height is just shy of 7 1/4" tall and 4 1/4" diameter.  18.5cm X 10.5cm diameter.

I know that WMF made art glass during the 1926-36 period from what I have read on-line.  I also know there is reference book in print about WMF art glass. 
WHAT I DON'T KNOW IS IF THERE IS ANY INFO IN THAT BOOK ABOUT THIS VASE or COLOR.

If anyone has a book on WMF, could you please look to see if there is any info on this form, shape (1000 eye style), or color.  any help would be appreciated.

p.s.  the pooch?  it is a modern piece by Boyd Glass, made about 15 years ago.  they called it GOLDEN DELIGHT and it also glows under a UV!!

the link:  http://www.vaselineglass.org/wmftrio.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
Re: WMF uranium glass help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:51:02 AM »
I posted this same letter (above) to the tias art glass group, and got this response from Guenter Staffa, from Germany:

Hi Dave,

some answers to your question:

1) WMF had an art department which made glass, metalwork and ceramics from about 1925 into the early 1950s. Those were their IKORA and MYRA glass lines and the ceramics and metalware are usually marked IKORA too. After WW 2 their works turned out to be more commercial than art! Most glass from  the IKORA and MYRA line which is still around is from that time, especially all the brownish red and or green Ikora stuff.

The book you mention focuses on the Ikora and Myra glass and does not have any information on your vase. Neither shape nor decoration were made in the IKORA/Myra lines. The book has a lot of old cataloge reprints, so it is safe to say

2) Your vase is not from that time, judging by the label its probably 1960s or even 1970s.

All the best from Germany

Guenter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:15:35 PM »
I have quite a few of WMF catalogues but they are not easily accessible now, not Ikora/Myra but mostly pre-ww2. Once I get to them will look for outstanding requests :)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
Frank, thanks for the offer.  According to the one person who responded (Guenter), the label appears to be 1960s-70s.  Anyone have catalogs from that era?  I don't think Frank's pre-WWII catalogs are going to be much help.

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »
I have quite a few of WMF catalogues but they are not easily accessible now, not Ikora/Myra but mostly pre-ww2. Once I get to them will look for outstanding requests :)

Oh, let me know when you do hunt them out - I've a pair of nouveau silverplate centrepieces I've been trying to date. I suspect they're 1890-1900 Albert Mayer designs, and are certainly pre-1914. I also want to find out of the crystal I got with one of them is the original design so that I can have a replacement bowl made for the other which was married with an earlier (1850s) vaseline & cranberry bowl.  :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:09:38 PM »
Some are on my list, not totally disorganised, covering 1927-40 then 1954 and 1968.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand