No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: FBS mark (French, Scottish, Italian & Czech glass) ... Solved - See Post 88  (Read 35534 times)

Connie

FBS again
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 10:32:20 AM »
If it is a retailer or importer mark, then it is likely to be a New York City one due to the source of the glass (European continent) and the time period.

I have been thinking and thinking about this but haven't come up with any good ideas or matches on the initials.

Federated Dept Stores and Feldman Bros. were 2 big retailers operating in this time period.  Federated is still in business but as parent company. But the intials really don't match  :roll:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Patti

Green and White Mottled Monart Art Deco Vase (FBS France c1936)
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 04:05:58 AM »
Hi!
I'm new here and struggling to figure out how to post pictures...but I'm working on it.
I've recently discovered that I may have an Art Deco style of Monart vase.  It was a gift to my mother in 1936. I cannot any Monart markings on it, but it does have the "FBS" and the word "France" marked on the bottom.  It's 9 1/2 inches tall and very Art Deco-y.
It will be up for sale as soon as I can determine if it is, in fact, a Monart.  I'm sorry but I can't figure out you letter/shape designations, either.

I'll go back to trying to get pictures loaded.

Thanks for any and all help!

Patti

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Green and White Mottled Monart Art Deco Vase
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 06:21:22 AM »
Hi Patti and welcome to the Glass Message Board.  :)

This topic might interest you:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,183.msg685.html#msg685

Also this article:
http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/Monartglass.htm

If you would like help in uploading your photo, then email me at:  maxeen  AT  aol.com

:)
I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Green and White Mottled Monart Art Deco Vase
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 10:28:20 AM »
Hi Patti,

This is not Monart, which was made in Scotland. These FBS marks are presumed to be that of US based importer or retailer. The mark, sometimes as a label, has been found on Czech, French and Italian glass. Hopefully someone can identify who made yours and we might get to a better date. Currently it could be anywhere from 1930's to 50's and no-one has come up with any possible identity.

Mostly the pieces with this mark have appeared in the US

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Green and White Mottled Monart Art Deco Vase (FBS France)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »
Patti, as I mentioned to you in my email, I'll swap this over to the main glass board for you once you've seen this message and agreed.   :) :)

Edit:  Just realised that someone's done it already, what great teamwork!  ;)

I am not a man

Patti

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 05:21:54 PM »
Gosh,  thank you all for the help.  I truly appreciate it and am amazed that you all are so active and helpful....not all Boards are as active.

According to records my mother kept, the vase was a wedding present to her in 1936...so I'm fairly certain it's from that era and not from the 50's.

I've checked through a lot of books at the local library and even shelf books at Barnes and Noble but I haven't been able to find anything that looks like this vase. 

My most recent attempt to identify it came from the "what's it worth 2 you" website and I paid to have an appraisal and the appraiser ID'd it as possibly a Monart...which led me to you all.

I seem to be back to square one....I have this really interesting Art Deco vase that I can't identify.

If you might have any suggestions as to where I need to turn next, I'd certainly appreciate any help I could get.

Patti

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 05:46:38 PM »
It seems as though an importers mark is the most likely explanation as I have also found these, which are made of porcelain. In the description # 1681 it states that they are also signed FBS France.
I also found this vase again, maker seems to be unknown.

???
Della

Mod: Links dead
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 09:46:22 PM »
I want try and get this vases maker identified and this might take a few weeks... I think it is possible with this one. Your date is helpful.

At some point I will merge it with the other discussion on FBS. That thread is now close to this one in the list so you can see how the mark appears on Monart.

I am fairly certain that no such importer existed after 1950 in the US. Canada is another possibility. As far as I can tell it is quite unusual to insist on this type of mark from producers so it must be an important company even if it did not survive WWII.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 10:29:36 PM »
am amazed that you all are so active and helpful....not all Boards are as active.
Patti

As a matter of interest, how did you hear about this board? :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand