No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Zelenobroske Studio? = Zeleznobrodske  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
Zelenobroske Studio? = Zeleznobrodske
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »
Anyone heard of this studio?

** I posted here (instead of specifically in paperweights) as I'm not so much trying to identify the weight as I am looking for a glass studio **

I have a paperweight I'm trying to identify [mushroom.jpg below] in another thread. Various suggestions have pointed me toward eastern Europe. I found a weight [Zelenobroske.jpg below] for sale online which the owner claims to have come from a Czech "Zelenobroske Glass Studio". His weight is unsigned, and he didn't share how he knows it came from this studio.

His weight is the same general shape as mine (like a giant watermelon seed with the point chopped off to form the base), and a similar abstract utilization of the design space. In fact, the two weights are similar enough that this seller and I both, independently, chose to describe our respective weights as reminiscent of a wild mushroom!

Anyway, a Google (.com) search for Zelenobroske turns up only the auction listing for this other paperweight. Have any of you ever heard of this (or a similarly-named) studio? And if so, as icing on the cake, would you happen to know the names of a few of the artists that might have worked there during (I'd guess) the past 30 years, or so... particularly any with a first initial "P"?

I know this is a shot in the dark, but hey, if ya don't ask...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Zelenobroske Studio?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 10:55:39 AM »
ZBS is one of the largest glass houses in the Czech republic - there should be plento of info online...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 11:08:24 AM »
Okay... I'm just about to begin feeling rather silly...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:23:29 PM »
No need to feel silly, he got the spelling wrong, not you. Zeleznobrodske

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:54:26 AM »
Hi Mike,
You say first initial "P", but how many letters do you have, and what is the order? Czech initials do not follow the western convention.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:30:15 AM »
Marcus,

I've posted a couple photos over in the PW forum under "ID Help w/ Signed Abstract PW," but this photo is most relevant. A note on the photo: the letter in the middle of the last name has a long descendor that didn't photograph well, so I tried to paint it in on the image.

The first initial is almost definitely a "P". The last name appears (to me) to begin with a "B", but "K" and "R" have been suggested. The last name seems to have six, maybe seven, letters.

The pattern, to me, seems to be: P. B**f*ar

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Normally, playing detective is fun... but this one has me stumped and frustrated. The ZBS connection that had me post in the general glass forum is only a very shaky shot in the dark.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:41:36 AM »
Something strange about the photo as it asks me to download it, rather than display it. Can you post the photo using the Attach: field immediately the text box, when posting a new message?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:00:44 AM »
I tried to be efficient and copy the link to the attached photo in the other thread. Turns out I copied the download link, not the view link. So much for efficient shortcuts, eh? Here it is...

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 09:04:22 AM »
Thanks - looks like P Kucfmar to me. I think the first initial of the surname could be 'K'
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Sklounion

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »
I have done some searching, and the closest I can get is Kudjmar.......... but that would be a Ukranian surname.
Sadly since ZBS merged with Ornela, in 2005, most of the on-line sources seem to have been taken down, and as yet, nothing has been put on Ornela's site. I have a feeling, that the mushroom paperweight image does not look like typical production from ZBS.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand