No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Walsh Walsh , Venetian style, thanks Bernard C at Gaydon  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
John Walsh Walsh , Venetian style, thanks Bernard C at Gaydon
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »
Hi ,
I went to the Glass Fair at Gaydon in November, and saw Bernard Cs lovely glass,
i noticed several similar to the piccies below, i always thought it was well made,
probably Italian 50s, but having seen similar I have identified it as English,
by John Walsh Walsh, in a Venetian range,
im not sure of date , maybe Bernard could confirm mine is by the Stourbridge maker
and the approx date, hope you like it , and others will find it useful!

Andy :D

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: John Walsh Walsh , Venetian style, thanks Bernard C at Gaydon
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 03:00:10 PM »
VERY nice!  :clap: 

I like your Bayeux Tapestry upholstery, too  ;D 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:25:16 AM »
Andy — Thanks for your kind words.

Walsh applied for the trademark Vesta Venetian on 16 October 1907, launching the range to the trade on 1 November in an advertisement in The Pottery Gazette.

The advertisement contains a small drawing, and it is difficult to tell which of the two styles of Vesta Venetian was illustrated.

The first of these was Walsh mother-of-pearl.

The second was the fiery bone-ash opalescent coloured style, of which you saw several examples on my stand at Gaydon, and of which your pedestal vase is a good example.

About four years ago I had the same problem as you, but I came from the opposite direction.   Initially I had not seen stemmed and footed examples, and had identified both styles with full confidence.   I then started acquiring pieces in the second style like your vase with fiery bone-ash opalescent stems and feet.   What worried me was that these stems and feet were a perfect match to known Italian glass, for example see here.

Accordingly I showed examples to the foremost authority on Murano and Italian glass, who kindly confirmed to me that not only were they not Murano or Italian, but that they were very English in style, obviously so, and the pedestal vase was certainly no earlier than the early 1920s, and possibly much later.    Some may have even been made post-war, up to the closure of the Walsh factory in 1951.

So my confidence was restored.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:01:02 PM »
Hi Bernard,
thanks for the informative reply, i enjoyed reading through the old threads, i learnt
a lot from it all, its a super vase, and great to have it positively identified ;D
Best wishes,
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand