No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart/Vasart - Vincent Vasart Vase type  (Read 2894 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Monart/Vasart - Vincent Vasart Vase type
« on: December 12, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
Hi!

Not sure how many Monart/Vasart collectors on here but did anyone see the vase sold by Lindsay Burns in Perth yesterday? Milky white/grey glass covered in multi-coloured filigree canes. Looks like musuem quality!!!

Fantastic and very rare piece - a few Harland weights were sold too.

Why do I always find out AFTER the auction has taken place?? lol!!!! :(

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: Monart/Vasart - Vincent Vasart Vase type
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:08:30 PM »
Hmmmmmmm, lot didn't sell.......

Reserve was set at £450 and description of monart seems dubious. Checked previous thread regarding an item 'selling' at McTears in April which also didn't sell. The thread cast great doubt/confusion over who was responsible for the orange ewer for sale then - ranging from monart to vasart to paul ysart - and all parts in between.

Frank suggested that an early attribution seemed dubious as these items were only cropping up very recently - seems to be a pattern. Could these be very recent production using older canes??

Just a thought....

Offline Kiwi Bill

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:33:46 AM »
Hi,
I use - The-saleroom.com - for Monart/Vasart/Ysart auctions and it doesn't cost a penny, unless you win a bid
of course, but hey, you already knew this.........yes!!!
Are you aware of the Loves auction, the following day, also Perth. You missed out again!!!
The only trouble I have is getting the pieces to New Zealand, if I win!!!!!

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:55:23 PM »
i'll register immediately!!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 12:00:49 AM »
I think they are Vasart period as all I have seen have been Vasart shapes. Apart from the ewers and they are different to the one Monart design I have had, a myth has grown that these are Salvador Ysart but no-one has ever offered proof.

I don't usually look in this forum as since moving my Ysart Glass forum to Scotland's Glass forums I have had a lot less spare time.

Offline Helena

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
I had a long chat with Nick (Burns) from the auction house prior to the sale and we discussed this particular piece.   He thought it was Monart, but I felt after recent history of other pieces similar to this that it may be Vasart (the description was changed to Monart/Vasart).   Nick told me the vendor had the item since new and was given in exchange for goods, I think it was a butchers, but wouldn't like to be quoted on this.   Was it Salvador???   If you think back to the late 40's when there was still austerity around following WW2 and may be money scarced, would this type of transaction have taken place?   I bought the small jug at this auction, again named as Monart - whether it's Monart or Vasart, I'm not sure, but it's a pretty little jug and I'm happy with my purchase.

Hey Gangster - what's this then can't get goods to NZ - you've done OK up to now and what's to say we can't do the odd bit now and then!!!!!!!

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
helena, this information on provenance of the piece would be priceless. Is there any way that Nick Burns could contact the vendor and check the history again? Any information would be really helpful in terms of determining who produced the item and when.

Hearsay is a little unreliable but this is better than the speculation that is often required when appraising such pieces!! It would aid other collectors of monart/vasart enormously.....

Offline Helena

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »
I'll have a chat with Nick - he's still on Xmas leave (I think), so will leave it a couple of days before I contact him.   

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 04:21:45 PM »
Be wary, I have had numerous first hand 'memory' accounts over the years... most have been disproven. There is a lot of dis-information generated in Perth area unfortunately. The Ysart family has one of the most embellished histories I know of.

This could probably do with a refresh http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/Hearsay.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand