No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: When is glass not used as glass?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
When is glass not used as glass?
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:15:35 AM »
This local to me story (Cumbria) caught my eye tonight: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7147957.stm - I had no idea that nuclear waste was turned into glass. I've been told that it's to lock the radiation in and make it safe to bury - is that really the case? It surely isn't used in commercial glassmaking.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Re: When is glass not used as glass?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:18 AM »
I believe it is called vitrification and is used because glass is so stable, taking many thousands of years to break down.  Here in the states, the eventual plan is to store the resulting material in an underground facility under construction in the southwest. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: When is glass not used as glass?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:16:55 AM »
I think glass was chosen as it has the reputation for stability and most people readily accept that.  The reality is a little different as glass is likely limited to a stability much shorter than the half-life of the material being stored. The hunt to find a material that will stay stable for the time needed  is towards fusing the waste with more ceramic like material and by mimicking the way that metals bind stabley to stone.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand