No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline Vase Beauty, ID hopefully?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members
Vaseline Vase Beauty, ID hopefully?
« on: December 30, 2007, 05:07:23 AM »
Hi, I have recently become smitten with this vase I have, and I was hoping someone could tell me something about it?  Is it old?  Is it what I've heard called 'thorny ribbed'?  Is it considered a 'rocket vase'?  It looks wonderful with red roses in it!  Thanks so much for your time and expertise.

Linda  (the one in Texas)
You can't hurt your eyes by looking on the bright side...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Re: Vaserline Vase Beauty, ID hopefully?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 08:06:25 AM »
Hi Linda,
it's a really nice vase! :)
It seems to be an interesting amalgam of Victorian (the thorny vase part) & later styles (the applied feet).
Those type of applied feet (as you mentioned) appear on 1920s era Czech vases, which are sometimes referred to as "rocket  vases". However, these vases are not usually seen in opalescent vaseline with thorns! They are more likely to be in opaque shades of orange, red, etc, & the applied "rocket" feet are typically opaque black or deep cobalt blue.
 Victorian vases of this thorny type tend to have applied feet inspired by natural forms such as stylized leaves, rustic tree roots & so on.
So, the vase as I mentioned appears to be a blend of 2 styles. I would tentatively date it at early 20th century, say around 1900-1920, and definitely Czech in origin.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members
Re: Vaseline Vase Beauty, ID hopefully?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:54:04 AM »
Thanks so much, Marinka, all that is pretty neat, the feet do kind of resemble leaves.  The more I learn, the more I like this vase!  It feels special to have something Czech, to this old country girl.
You can't hurt your eyes by looking on the bright side...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand