No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bowl with dozens of roses in uranium glass - ID = Mueller  (Read 6349 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Bowl with dozens of roses in uranium glass - ID = Mueller
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
Found this today in uranium glass, must have been quite an expensive mould to create, not only are there dozens of roses but I haven't worked out the pattern repeat yet - if there is one. A large bowl in green uranium glass 12 in (30 cm) across. No marks, ground base. The roses are all frosted and the plain rings are shiny. Anyone any thoughts as to who - can't find it on Pamela's site.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Bowl with dozens of roses in uranium glass
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »
Christine, right, I have not got it and nothing similar at all. The shiny rings do look strange, don't they? They made such an attractive mould without decorating the rim at all  :huh:
Walther Rosen look related, but only the RIM is decorated  :hb2:
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/deckeldosen/00685.html
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:22:13 PM »
It's certainly very busy - but lovely. The body is cameo and the three roses in the base are intaglio

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:06:05 PM »
A lovely bowl, these are also seen as float bowls paired with a figure, there's an example on black-poppy's site here: http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/mc/unknown/1929pink8.jpg
The figure appears to be the same as one attributed to Mueller & Co. Germany, on the same site: http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/mc/unknown/1929LadyPink1.jpg

I have no idea who Mueller are, whether they were a maker or a retailer, I can't find any reference to them in Ivo's book.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »
Thank you, I'll investigate further

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »
I can't find anything either - Mueller & Co. does not seem a likely name for a German company, GmbH, would be more feasible. Could this be the same company as Muller Freres of France. This work seems comparable with their post-WWI stuff. Do we know conclusively that ALL their stuff was marked?

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 11:35:10 AM »
I'm fairly certain it doesn't have anything to do with Muller Freres, stylistically the bowl and figure look more Czech or German to me. While Muller Freres made some beautiful molded glass I am not aware of them having made these types of figural centrepieces. Have you tried e-mailing Black Poppy to see where she got the attribution from? If she has a catalogue illustration or similar that would be a great starting point.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »
Co. was used by German companies but it could also be a translation - though Ltd. would be a more likely translation in UK English. Also companies would put translations of the company name on the cover of catalogues for any overseas office. There are instances when a writer has used the English subsidiary rather than the parent German name, especially where they could not type ü for some reason.

Looking for Müller is a bit like looking for Miller, a common name anywhere that made bread. Ivo's book covers glassworks and these are as likely to be a retailer or a wholesaler.

Plenty of hits in Glass Study, all refiners e.g.

Müller Sachs, Heinrich. Glasbläserei. Steinach
Müller, Gebr., Schmalenbuche bei Neuhaus am Rennsteig
Müller, Werner, Schmalenbuche bei Neuhaus am Rennsteig
Müller, Bruno & Co. TA: Müller Kompagnie. Bleikristalle mit Hochglanzpolitur. Petersdorf i. Riesengebirge
Müller & Co. Glasfabrik, Piesau
Müller & Kühnert. Piesau.
Müller, Ferdinand. Glasmalerei. Quedlinburg
Müller & Co. Neuhaus am Rennweg
Müller, F. G. Glaswarenfabrik. Oberweißbach
Müller & Co., Rudolf, G. m. b. H. Ilmenau

Lots of Müller in Lauscha... mostly doing eyes and lampwork or making the rods/tubing for lampwork. Lots of other Müller but very unlikely candidates.

Note that while the Glass-Study may be comprehensive it does not always enrich the data as a finished study like Ivo's Glass fact file does. It provides one or more snapshots in time only, not period of operation, and is also subject to original errors, even intentional ones. So on their own, the above data should be treated with caution.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
No but I will and I have yet to scour the bowl for a hidden mark

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 06:36:19 AM »
I did have this identified for me as Mueller at a glass fair; the marching cherub bases can be marked

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand