No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This Czech or is this English?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Is This Czech or is this English?
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:17:27 AM »
I've read a couple of posts on linked websites that are a bit confusing. Is this imported Czech to England or is this English by an English manufacturer. Thanks, Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Is This Czech or is this English?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:25:42 AM »
I think, Ken, that the argument is not whether it was made in England but whether it was made in Czechoslovakia or Germany. It is often found with an English registration mark for Jules Lang & Co. But Lang was an importer who often registered the designs he imported - I have a sugar bowl just as an example.

See here for an earlier discussion

I think what we don't know if whether Lang commissioned  designs or had exclusive rights to them, if he did then we're unlikely to know who made them

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
Thanks Christine. Sometimes I get confused after reading some of the information posted on various sites & read an article on another site regarding this piece, but was having difficulity understanding exactly the decided outcome. It's a "Yank" thing I think...me being from Ohio (insert word "Hillbilly" here if you wish)  & sometimes I might be guilty of misinterpreting what I just read so I have finally figured out that it's always better to just ask.

Thanks, your response is appreciated. Ken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 04:38:16 PM »
It was common practise for 'agents' to register designs in the countries where they traded, it required local lawyers and language. The registration document may or may not state the designer or manufacturer. A design could have been in circulation prior to registration but the document might state the date of first use.

Firms like Lang could also arrange manufacture for a third party or even their own designs and be the registrant. So the options are endless...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »
Thanks Frank for the additional information. I believe (hopefully) I have a much better understanding now. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand