No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 60+ yo Italian Vase  (Read 1608 times)

Offline tammydownunder

• Members
60+ yo Italian Vase
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »
 I inherited this vase from my grandmother several years ago.  I know it is
 at least 60 years old and it is Italian in origin.  There are no makers
 marks and it stands about 34 cm high and is about 13 cm at its widest.
 Unfortunately, the lattacino work doesn't show up well in the photos.

I brought it with me from the USA when we moved to Australia 10 years ago
 and prior to moving, I had it appraised by a Chicago appraiser.  She
 appraised it at US$1200 in 1997 based on a similar object she found in a
 book.

The gold on the ball is no longer like new and there is a slight ring from
 hard water about half way up the bowl.  While I have no intention of selling
 it, I am curious, who made it and what I should insure it for in Australia.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: 60+ yo Italian Vase
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:01:10 PM »
Hi, Tammy. I thought since no one had answered that I would say the little I know. Your vase is gorgeous. Does it look like it may have had a stopper at one time? The filigrana pattern of your vase could be made by several companies. The colorful latticino and twisted ribbons are favorites among people and sell very well. If I had to guess who made your vase, it would be Fratelli Toso or Salviati. Both companies made glass that had a stem with ball similar to yours. The gold is not worn. It is actually in the glass. It is just that not a lot of it is used, so often it looks like worn gilding.

I am not good at values, so I will leave that to someone who knows more.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tammydownunder

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:25:56 AM »
Hi, Tammy. I thought since no one had answered that I would say the little I know. Your vase is gorgeous. Does it look like it may have had a stopper at one time? The filigrana pattern of your vase could be made by several companies. The colorful latticino and twisted ribbons are favorites among people and sell very well. If I had to guess who made your vase, it would be Fratelli Toso or Salviati. Both companies made glass that had a stem with ball similar to yours. The gold is not worn. It is actually in the glass. It is just that not a lot of it is used, so often it looks like worn gilding.

I am not good at values, so I will leave that to someone who knows more.

Anita

Thanks for your reply.  I will investigate further based on your leads.   My grandmother got it new as a vase and the lip is nicely finished and shows no wear marks. She did have a Chantilly glass pitcher with a stopper and I lost the stopper in one of our moves! :(

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »
There is a not very well know glassmaker who worked with zanfirico and reticello using so often those colours. His name was Dino Tagliapietra. I have seen the collection of his son and there are several pieces (made by the father) really similar to this one. The son is now 50-60 years old, so I suppose that his father worked between after the 2nd war until the '70s/'80s. He worked in different furnaces. The last one was located close to Campo San Bernardo, below his house.
I can't say that he was the maker, but colours, shapes, styles match perfectly.
Also the son works with the same techniques and colours.

Sincerely

Alex

www.artofvenice.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand