No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: * Murano Label -- Pink Bowl  (Read 3245 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
* Murano Label -- Pink Bowl
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:58:14 AM »
Got this too with a label.  Any info at all, age/label....good, or bad.  Thanks. 
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: * Murano Label -- Pink Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:43:12 PM »
This is a very new one. These types can be found in TJ Maxx, and similar outlets.
Shannon

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:41:54 AM »
This is a very new one. These types can be found in TJ Maxx, and similar outlets.

Okey dokey....I never knew that, and have never shopped there....No stores here where I am. 

Is this label in the gallery? Or even wanted then?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 08:44:57 AM »
Thank you for thinking of the label Shannon, but we do already have that one:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3034   :)

Keep looking for them though, it all helps!

I am not a man

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »

Okey dokey....I never knew that, and have never shopped there....No stores here where I am.

Think Winners, A.R. That's the Canadian equivalent.

Carolyn

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:06:22 AM »
Do you Ross or Marshall's in Canada? Those are the other similar stores here in the US.
Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:20:44 AM »
Just a note about your piece, antiquerose. When you see a bottom finished like this (roughly ground without polishing) it's usually an indication of poor quality, and often those items are from China. Of course Chinese glass can also be found with a polished bottom, or sometimes ground finer, but still matte. I would say that in general, when you find a Murano piece with a bottom like this, it is recent and not the best quality (or it's a fake). Of course, as with almost every subject concerning glass, there are no hard and fast rules.  :P I have seen nice, authentic, mid century Murano glass pieces with roughly ground bottoms, but those cases have been clowns or animal figurines.
Shannon

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 04:27:58 AM »
hi, Thanks.  I have never shopped at Winners, Ross, or Marshall -- yet much heard of them.  I kinda wondered about this, but because it had a label, I still thought I would get it.

Hey -- Some days are good, some days are bad.....That's life.

It would be (kinda) nice if we could have a section on *bottoms* ( lol....glass bottoms :spls2:) to show any variation of different bottoms.  Maybe this could be added to the gallery?  I have read that Murano glass bottoms are well quality, BUT then I have also read that they are rough, have ash in the....and sometimes a little more than imperfect.

Also the older style of bases (if they have one), older style of bottoms, bottoms unpolished, ground, matted, rougher bottoms (clowns or animals).....or any that are rare.  Kinda like the label section.

It is just a suggestion, but for the novice (and others)...it might be useful.  Any knowledge is good knowledge  :)

* Right now I'm trying to figure out a signature on another one, before i post it...

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 09:03:19 AM »
Antiquerose said:
It would be (kinda) nice if we could have a section on *bottoms*

Although that's an interesting idea, in practice it would be tricky.  As Shandiane intimated, there's no hard and fast rules with bases really, and it comes down to experience and sometimes hunches, if not learning.  In fact, unless you can recognise a particular design and relate it directly to a designer, there's no hard and fast rules with many aspects of glass.   You have to draw from a variety of values to make a decision about where a piece comes from, and the base is only part of that decision anyway.

My advice would be, avoid anything with clowns on for the moment, and don't be swayed by the fact a piece has a 'murano' label on it.  Looking for wear on the base is one easy way of telling the approximate age of a piece...assuming someone hasn't been tampering with it with sandpaper...  ;) 

I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »
Or rubbing it along the concrete, Max  >:D LOL!  ;)

Is it just me, or do the 'striations' on the base of this pink dish look very similar to the base of a certain little hound dog? http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18888.0.html

heh

(Sorry!  :-[  >:D  ;)
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand