No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dish, not paperweight - J MacDonald / Ian MacDonald  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Dish, not paperweight - J MacDonald / Ian MacDonald
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:58:01 AM »
I've just received this little dish - sold as a paperweight - which is signed on the base 'J MacDonald 2003' (or that's what it looks like to me!)

It's an interesting effect, with swirls of orange and purple in clear glass, pressed into a ribbed mould. 

Can anyone tell me anything about 'J MacDonald'?  I've 'Googled', but didn't find anyone I thought likely to be her / him. 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Dish, not paperweight - J MacDonald
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »
Try asking the SGS as it is a Scottish roots name.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:02:16 PM »
Just had a reply from SGS.  It's not somebody they know  :(

Anyone?  :huh:
Leni

Offline lambden

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:10:36 PM »
Hi
I think you will find it is Jane Mcdonald, I have heard of her but can't think of when or why, try again on google searching for jane mcdonald glass.
Good luck

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
Ooops!  :-[  I think I may have boobed  :-\  I think perhaps it's not a J - it's an I  ::)  It could very well be Ian MacDonald  ::)  http://www.imacglass.co.uk/

IGMC  :-[
Leni

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Hi
I think you will find it is Jane Mcdonald, I have heard of her but can't think of when or why, try again on google searching for jane mcdonald glass.
Good luck

Jane McDonald was a contemporary of Liz Lowe at the Royal College of Art and received her MA in 1981, I think. She then taught at Swansea College of Art during the  eighties and maybe longer - lost touch since then.

If it is a J, then it could be the same person, but I haven't seen any of her recent work so I wouldn't be able to identify it.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »
Thanks, Adam.  I do however now think it's probably an 'I'  :spls:  And it's definitely 'Mac' not 'Mc' Donald!  :-\   

Ian MacDonald's website refers to "tactile outer surface decoration", and the interesting effect of the ribbed mould into which this little dish was blown is one of the things about it which fascinates me. 
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand