No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness blue  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Caithness blue
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »
Hi All
       i am not a collector of paperweights but while out today i saw a Caithness one with box something to do with collectors society, it was blue with silver stripes in side it, £19.95 is it worth picking up ?
                                                                            Gilead

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Caithness blue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 05:08:07 PM »
Some were sold with the membership pack and three was a yearly weight sold to Society members only. Some are shown here and original prices given.

http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=79&Itemid=51

If you like it buy it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »
Hi Frank
             thanks for the link, am off to moz to see if its still there, i think it said 95 on it,? looked very nice, very dark blue with little bubbles and some silver in it, and as a little stand with it, also the box, complete,

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »
Hi All
       I went out and got the Caithness Paperweight, it is called Steelblue and Designed by Alastair Macintosh.
Which i am lead to believe is no longer with them, the code on the back is (L300L3) is this the amount made or for catalogue reference, it also has Scotland on the base, Flawless and in the box, :-\ 

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
It is the item number and that second L will be a number.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:39:15 PM »
Frank
         you are right it is, L30043 had to get the eye piece out, many thanks Steve

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »
"Steel Blue" was an unlimited weight, issued in 1991 - original price £ 23.95 - and estimated in 2004 (Charlton catalogue) at £ 30. It has to be added, however, that especially unlimited modern designs fetch rarely more than 50% of these 2004 estimates nowadays on ebay.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
Wuff
            thank you for the date and the original price it helps me know more about the piece nice to put some history to the glass, my first venture in to weights today, all packed away now ready for the move, which is coming up,
                                                                                                                     Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand