No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Steuben Glass  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Steuben Glass
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »
A flying trip, but I saw this headline and knew you all would be interested.

http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en.do?pn=arts&articleID=2883318

Talk to you later.

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Steuben Glass
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »
Amusing that the CFO of a glass corporation is called Flaws. Not something Steuben are known for! So the luxury end of the Glass market is contracting. Don't they realise that flaws are bad news for glass  :o

I suppose they will end up selling the brand to join the ranks of the meaningless names that are so popular on the waistbands of underwear >:D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:47:37 AM »
What a shame!  I can't say I'm terribly surprised, though.  I watched the factory in action when I visited the Corning Museum of Glass last spring, and there wasn't a whole lot going on.

"It appears that it's just not a fashionable product anymore" and that "it's gotten to the end of the generation it appeals to" - this seems like a common refrain in the glass market these days.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »
The last time that happened new designers came in or other countries took the lead. Embracing change is always hard and always risky. Perhaps the management just lost the initiative. A naïve hope but wouldn't it be nice if the brand was sold to a group of glassmakers based on originality of business plan rather than just to realise a corporate asset. Cornings shares would take a hit but they would recover and the Steuben brand could meaningfully lead to new directions again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand