No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I.D. needed please  (Read 953 times)

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
I.D. needed please
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

Thanks Steven (Mosquito) I've eventually touched base!

Hi folks, been watching messageboard for a few days now and hope someone will be able to help me identify this piece of glass I bought last year.  I've been buying glass for last 15 years have it stored away in attics, under beds etc etc, usually purchased because I liked the colour/shape and the price. Now retired and eager to aquire knowledge and sort out what I have and decide on what and how to collect seriously. I have already identified a lot of my glass during the last three months and learnt so much due to the postings on this site.  Thanks.  This peice is obviously contempory but most of my stuff is mid/late 20c. I've looked for a sig/mark but as Gwendoline is so heavy I'm nervous of up-ending her and risking damaging her arms/wings.........please can anyone help point me towards identifying the studio she may have come from. cheers steph.  please excuse poor pics hope to improve with practice!

link to photos here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/keznoa/Gwendoline

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: I.D. needed please
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:20:18 PM »
Hello Steph,

Glad to see you've joined us  ;).

I'm afraid I can't help with Gwendoline, I don't recognise her at all. An interesting piece though.

I know you're reluctant to upend her, but the way the base is finished can often provide clues to the origin of a piece. Though maybe this won't be necessary, this is such a distinctive item hopefully someone will recognise the maker straight off.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say she is likely to be contemporary Eastern European, though this is really outside my usual area of knowledge.

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »
Looks like Zinc oxide glass so I would think it is a Russian piece. But I would not know where you could go for confirmation - I could be completely wrong.

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »
Thanks Steven & Ivo - will follow the way to the steppes! Can anyone point me in the direction of book/s on Russian glass please? Or at least name one that is pretty comprehensive re eastern europe. steph.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 06:45:44 AM »
I have both the "Soviet Glass" and the "Gus Krushtalny" books - that is why I recognise the material and the style. But other than the knowledge that it was probably made between the fifties and the nineties this road will yield very little. And as I said, I could be completely wrong, and be looking at a piece of Murano or French glass!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand