No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: White/Pink Mezza Filigrana Vase - Dino Martens, or....?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
White/Pink Mezza Filigrana Vase - Dino Martens, or....?
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
Is this a generic Murano vase, or possibly Dino Martens for Aureliano Toso? Thanks in advance!

Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: White/Pink Mezza Filigrana Vase - Dino Martens, or....?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:42:01 PM »
It's hard to tell. I checked the Dino Martens book to see if I could find a match. I found a couple of similar things, but nothing exact.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:07:22 PM »
Anita, thanks for looking!

BTW,in the end I decided to sell that Dino Martens swan bowl you helped me with a while back. It's exciting...Trying not to check the auction every 10 minutes!
Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
I checked the swan and saw it took an opening bid. Then I checked my piggy bank and saw nothing but ribs.  :'( It sure is a beautiful swan.

I am never very comfortable attributing the mezza filigrana pieces like your vase unless I can find an exact match (shape, size, thread count). They can be copied fairly easily by glassmakers. So many companies have done things that look like the things Martens designed. The Martens book probably doesn't have all of Martens designs, so it may be him. Whoever did it, it is a nice vase.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »
Thanks again! I wasn't sure if the work on this was fine enough to be Martens. Like the threads seem a little far apart? But I don't have a lot of images to compare it to. I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled.
Shannon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand