No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio Millefiori Vase  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Ming

• Members
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: Studio Millefiori Vase
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »
I've never heard of Zak Frankle. The vase looks very much like new Chinese glass which is made to imitate Murano glass. I mean VERY much. I am suspicious of the signature. How much do you trust the person who sold it to you?
Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »
Of course, it's possible the seller was also deceived and sold it to you with honest intentions. But at some point somebody came up with that signature in order to pass a Chinese vase off as 1960's studio work.
Shannon

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:28:28 AM »
I think you are right about being a Chinese glass. I managed to find that the same vase is included in something  called (Castellani Collection) in Australia.  Also in ebay there is this person selling quite a few of these type  glasses from this collection. And if you look at his shop it's all reproduction.
Good job l did not paid too much for it and consider this as a learning curve. It is still good looking.
Thanks! shandiane78 
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:30:14 AM »
Just for reference, armed with Ming's info, I went looking for the maker/seller and found the Castellani glassware collection here: http://castellani.com.au/glassware/collection2.php - middle row far right looks very similar to Ming's vase. 

(NOTE: this is NOT the same as the Castellani Collection from the British Museum.)

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »
I have never come across the name and nor has Google, it appears. Where did you get it and how much was it?
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »
I think it looks a bit more recent than 1962, i date from 1960, and ive got a lot more
marks, scratches and scars than your vase :D

Its nice though, and im sure ive seen similar recently :huh:

Regards
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:34:32 PM »
Duplicate topics in Glass and Murano merged. (Posting in more than one forum about the same object causes confusion - it's better to ask a Mod to move a post over than start a new one.)

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »
Sorry to say chineese at 99%. Colours, techniques, internal layer, kind of Murrina... every detail says "sayonara"
On ebay it is really FULL of Murano glass made in China

[Mod: links and comments removed in line with board policy]

On ebay take care to buy only form very well known and established sellers!!! (anyway I don't sell on ebay)

Sincerely

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:07:21 PM »
Can I just remind members that where it is considered that an item offered for sale is not as described, the Board Policy is as follows:
If you wish to draw attention to an on-line auction which you consider to be ‘not as described’ you may provide a link to the auction but you should only state that “in my opinion this piece has not been described correctly.” Or, for example, in the case of a signature that you feel is incorrect “the signature does not appear to be genuine.”  It would also be advisable to ask if others have any opinion. Do not state anything is a fact, unless you can provide documentary proof!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand